Cat Can't Pee Blockage Signs - Get Insurance Early!!!

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, I just got back from the E-Vet because my cat has is blocked urinary tract.

Thank god yesterday I was home all day and I noticed he was cleaning his genitals more than normal.

Because of that I followed him to the litter box this morning. He climbed in the litter box and it LOOKED like he was peeing, but then I decided to stick a piece of paper under his butt and nothing. He was in and out of the litter box a few times in the next 15 minutes and straining as though he was trying to poop. He still showed no signs of pain at all and even ate his breakfast.

So FYI if you see your cat licking his genitals a lot stay close to the litter box check with the paper to see if he actually is peeing - don't wait until your kitty looks and acts sick. (BTW this cat has been almost exclusively on wet food his whole life and the only dry he gets is Royal Canin Limited Ingredient as a snack at night.)

And get insurance early!!!! The bill is going to be around $3,000 minimum. I have a plan with a $1,000 deductible - that keeps the premiums reasonable $10-$15 a month.

Remember you should not evaluate pet insurance by whether your likely to get your money back as far as treatment costs. What having pet insurance does is to remove the possibility that you can't treat the cat solely because you can't afford it.

When they pushed that estimate over to me and it was $3,000 I didn't have to hesitate for one minute. And even if it's more I won't have to fret. That's worth going without lunch out a few times a month, or stopping for morning coffee, or a million other things we spend money on that don't have anywhere near the payoff.

I honestly am pretty scared right now, but fingers crossed he'll be OK. I love him so much. Thanks for reading.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I just talked to the vet. They said they had a hard time unblocking him and that he has what looks like a stone in his bladder. :(

Which means more surgery - :( -

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You know the things you do that you don't think about - I reduced his prednisolone and that made him less thirsty, plus at the same time he started eating more of the limited ingredient kibble. I probably will put him back on all raw again even though it was a PITA. Plus I used a new brand of freeze dried raw called VitalCat. Who knows what caused this.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so glad that you rushed him to the vet when you realized that something was wrong. Years ago I lost a TNRed male feral who avoided all chances of being retrapped even once I suspected it was a blockage. That is all I am going to say as it was horrifying. Fiona herself had surgery for the removal of bladder stones. After repeated UTI's with blood and apparent discomfort I knew that I had to go ahead with the surgery. She recovered easily and lived for many more years. I never figured out if there was anything that I could have done to prevent Fiona's bladder stones, but they never recurred.

I also have insurance on Jamie, my youngest cat, and it has really been a help.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your feral - :( - putting yourself at risk for this kind of pain is the mark of a true hero as far as I'm concerned.

I can't just sit here so I've decided to prepare for him coming home. I have one of those fold up dog/cat pens to use to contain him. Does anyone have any recommendations for post-blockage cat litter?

Right now I use the Tractor Supply pelletized horse bedding and a sifting litter box. But I think that might be a little hard for him to crawl into, or maybe not. Thoughts?

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah I've been reading about those, not sure what the advantage would be over the pine pellets. I guess the problem with the pine is there's no clumps to tell if he's actually peeing, but I can see the dust on the clumping litter irritating his bottom.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They don't know for sure yet about for sure. I guess the radiologist has to read it and his bladder has to calm down after being so inflamed from the blockage. Plus holiday weekend.

FrankieNMurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat blocked at 6-7 yrs old (typical for males at that age) and he nearly died. When I caught it, he was peeing blood and crying non-stop. I rushed him to Emergency and they unblocked him without surgery. He was then put on a urinary diet for his life.
Don't worry - it's really common in male cats and even if he has to have a ‘perineal urethrostomy’ he'll get better.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi All. I picked him up on Tuesday afternoon. He seems to be doing OK or at least he's peeing regularly. Though sometimes it takes 4-ever - I think he squatted for over a minute and it wasn't that much. He's eating his urinary food like a trooper. He has diarrhea though and they gave me some new meds for that.

I just went and picked up all his chart notes and his test results. The blood work says is gulucose is high at 198 and the urinalysis says he has glucose in his urine. He has been on pred for some time, though I tried to reduce it to half a tab instead of a full tab over the past month.

At any rate, I'm not sure what to make of the blood glucose thing. When you read up on it some the article says that diabetic cats have blood glucose of over 400. Well which is it - if 120 is the high end of normal, then that's an awfully big gap between 120 and 400. Some articles say any glucose in the urine is abnormal and others say it isn't. Any thoughts appreciated!

He's going to the vet this afternoon - which he hates. I hope the gabapentin calms him some this time.