Cat Butt Leaking.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I did find this on a vet website that sounds exactly what was happening:
"Another symptom that may fool you as to what is going on is to see diarrhea associated with straining in the litter box. How can a cat be constipated if it has diarrhea? The hard, dry stool sits in the colon and causes irritation resulting in fluid being produced. This fluid mixes with the surface of the stool, softening it and allowing it to pass past the constipation."

In my case it was just leaking out.

That is exactly what I was going to say...

I feel you should go for the ultrasound.
Also ask about the constipation.. that should be seen on an ultrasound and x-ray...

Good Luck...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jackal2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well finally today he left one piece of poop about 2" long. It was still solid and firm. Last time he went was Monday.
I guess I'm going to keep the apt for tomorrow and take him for an ultrasound in the morning.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update! I think the ultrasound will give you peace of mind. If you don't already, cover his carrier with a big heavy towel - I use that for ferals as well as travel-haters.

jackal2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Got back from the ultrasound. Only issue was the kidney showed up lighter than another organ and it should be the same shade. There was some spotting which he said could have been some inflammation going on either in the past or currently. Nothing to report from his gi track. They are going to do a urine analysis.
I told the vet i had started supplementing his food with a low dosage of "pet wellbeing kidney support gold" when his water intake picked up. He said that shouldn't be an issue to give him. I think the bottle suggests 10 drops a day and I only have been giving him 3 a day as a preventative.
Have to wait for the urine test results now.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did he say what he expect the urinalysis to show?

Your poor cat! Is he still throwing up and leaking? I hope he's feeling a little bit better.

I hope you know what a great custodian you are to him. He's very lucky to have you. You've really come through for him and not all cats are nearly as fortunate.

jackal2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He didn't state what he thinks the urine test may reveal. I'll have to wait.
He hasn't thrown up and his butt hasn't been leaking since last Saturday when he got home after his enema. I'm pretty sure that may have unblocked him. That and there was a hard dry piece of poop that was more cubic than cylindrical he got out the day before going last Saturday.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for getting the ultrasound. Did the vet think that the inflammation needs to be managed with an IBS diet? Nowadays, there are some great cat food formulas in commercial - even better than the Rx foods, IMO. The corn & the wheat gluten are terrible offenders as are the dyes. I have similar problems (incl. kidney) and the nice thing is that once the inflammation subsides, dietary restrictions ease up. What a good thing that you are proactive! It makes the world of difference. I am so hoping the urinalysis is normal and this was just a flare-up.
I don't want to overwhelm you but at the suggestion in a Nutrition forum thread, we tried a cat with extensive GI issues on Stella&Chewy's Absolutely Rabbit and she is responding well. She cannot tolerate chicken, peas, grain, seafood, guar gum, carrageenan. Due to cost, she is now eating a blend of FF wet and the S&C rabbit and so far, so good.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
He didn't state what he thinks the urine test may reveal. I'll have to wait.
He hasn't thrown up and his butt hasn't been leaking since last Saturday when he got home after his enema. I'm pretty sure that may have unblocked him. That and there was a hard dry piece of poop that was more cubic than cylindrical he got out the day before going last Saturday.
Having him on miralax probably is what helped pass it. Also remember it takes 3 days to see results from miralax. I wouldn't use canned pumpkin and miralax together Unless vet says he needs it-otherwise you will be getting pudding poopy and it's stinky as all heck. some people do 1/8 tsp of mira a day and it seems to help. It's weird how even on canned food he's got constipation. I am glad you got the ultrasound done. It's a good idea for down the road-there will be something to refer to- a baseline if you will.

I would keep the doses of miralax consistent for 4 days in a row=then you can see if results work or not. It's almost a balancing act because some kitties need a lot, like my girl Honeybee, and my other older kitty only needs a pinch a day otherwise it's too soft n yucky.

The coconut oil on a warm soaking wet wash clothe will help pull off any poop on the fur on back of legs/bum. It's safe for them to lick as well.

If you go back to the vet-maybe ask for a hygienic clipping around his bum and back of legs where he squats over the kitty box. my long hair girl gets snarly when I pull out the scissors so I have someone help me-because nothing worse than piles of yucks around the house...she hates it-screams and growls-but it takes me all of a minute-I only do one side at a time.

My boyfriend holds her and i lift tail and carefully snip. Use blunt end scissors so you don't accidentally puncture skin. I always recommend having the vet deal with it if all possible=they are used to dealing with this. plus some kitties just freeze up and let them get done what they need done whereas at home they can become hellcats if we dare make them do something they don't want to do.

jackal2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So the vet called and basically stated that he is early on stage 1 of kidney failure where his hidnesys are not doing so great. She went over a lot of stuff that I can't remember but I just need to keep an eye on him.
No prescription medication required at this point.
Drinking a lot of water and having it pass through him is dehydrateing him so his poop is dryer. His pooping scheduled is inconsistent between 1-3 days and even with miralax and pumpkin it is still very solid.
I stated I'm supplement his food with pet wellness kidney support gold Which is like herbal roots and she said that is fine.
Just giving him lots of love now.