Cat Breathing Heavy After Play

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this is normal or I'm being paranoid, but I've noticed that my almost 1 yr old starts to breathe heavy after a few short minute of play. He wrestles with his "brother," acts like a normal kitten, and really gives it his all chasing the wand. He does sleep/ rest more than his "brother," but it's hard to compare because the other cat is lazy when it comes to engaging in play but is forever up and about exploring and getting into trouble.

It's possible that he just puts a lot of effort into his play, but I feel like his stamina could be better considering how athletic he is. I don't play with him to the point of panting, but I do notice his sides moving faster after just a few minutes. Tonight we played after a short trip outside (just checking out the yard) and he seemed to tire out. Usually, I have a hard time getting the "brother" involved because he is so quick to catch the ribbons, but after a bit he actually allowed the other one to have some fun and even moved himself away to watch. I could still get him interested in the game, but chose to not push it.

I admit I've been quick to anxiety and paranoia after loosing my senior cat suddenly. I got these 2 shortly after, this little guy being the first. I was so scared of loosing him that I barely slept for days, just watching him sleep and checking that he was still breathing (didn't help that he sleeps like the dead). Am I being overly sensitive, or could there be something wrong?

calikitteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine did this especially around 6-8months when they were playing constantly....he would end up panting. I was a bit freaked out b/c I'd read this is a sign of distress but researching further it seems normal for young cats after a heavy play session. He learned his limits and it rarely happens now at 1 yr.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is common after a vigorous play session. Be concerned if he starts coughing or stops playing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys for easing my worry!