Cat Bowls

inkxpencil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What kind of bowls do you feed/water your cats with? There are so many types out there, just curious to see what other people use.

I used to use plastic with Rory, but I found she kept getting a rash on her chin so I changed her to glass for her water and feeding bowls and she has been fine since.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use plastic for wet and dry food because I'm miserably clumsy and I drop everything. I wash them daily and bleach them at least once a week. For water, she has a CatMate fountain.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i use paper plates for dry, then daily toss it and put down a clean plate. my cat got chin acne bad, after wearing a cone almost 4 months. so i take their bowls seriously :)

for wet food i use those flat little 6 inch corelle bread and butter plates. i just just rinse well and put in the dishwasher

for water i use the large corelle quart serving bowls, nice and wide, rinse and refill 2x daily and every 2 days switch to clean ones and toss in the dishwasher too.

i also have a few water fountains that i tear down and soapy water wash weekley.

Katzrkool1379

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What kind of bowls do you feed/water your cats with? There are so many types out there, just curious to see what other people use.

I used to use plastic with Rory, but I found she kept getting a rash on her chin so I changed her to glass for her water and feeding bowls and she has been fine since.

I just use old plates or saucers. Why spend £s when charity shops can benefit along with your wallet. The only advantage to some specific cat bowls is if your cat pushes the plate whilst eating - rubber grips on the bottom prevent this. If that's not a problem, use anything. I think full of food is the cat's main concern. :)

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use ceramic dishes for food . A flat plate for wet food . A low sided bowl for dry food . We have two water fountains .

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use these dishes for food and the Pioneer Pet stainless steel Big Max fountain for water

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C76498Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Fountain-Stainless-Steel-128oz/dp/B004EFVQDC/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1523137043&sr=1-3&keywords=fountain+big+max

ETA: I did not pay that much for the dishes. I actually bought them from Kohl's and then one from Amazon. Kohl's no longer sells them but when I got them they were about $7 apiece and I had a 30% off code and Kohl's cash so I ended up getting 2 for what Amazon is currently charging for one. I went back in my order history on Amazon. It was $4.99 when I bought it.

upload_2018-4-7_17-45-56.png

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use Corelle brand dessert bowls. They are about $3 each at Walmart in the housewares department. They wash very well and go right in the dishwasher with our other dishes.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
i use a stainless steel bowl with a rubber bottom. They're great. For war i sue pioneer pet fountains (also stainless steel)

tangers40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use these ceramic bowls for Cheese's dry food and water (bonus: they were cheap on a lightning sale and they have cute fish bones on the bottom of the bowls):

(link didn't work, sorry, so you just get a picture instead)

For her wet food, I use just a plain stainless bowl with a rubber bottom so it doesn't scoot across the floor as she eats.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use a bunch actually! Primarily I use this one with ridges, they're designed for cats with shorter noses, like British Shorthairs and Persians, and the ridges are supposed to make it easier to eat.

I also have one of these Dr. Catsby whisker fatigue bowls that Elf also seems to like. I use this with raw food because the other is made from some sort of plastic, and this is stainless steel.

And for dry food I use one of various puzzle maze things that I have, or feeder balls!

Oh and for water I have a Raindrop stainless steel fountain as well as a glass bowl. She seems to use both so I keep both out.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use low wall ceramic bowls for both dry and wet food and a Drinkwell water fountain. Gypsy loves the waterfall and the sound of the water. She drinks mostly right from the waterfall.

I am thinking of maybe getting a raised ceramic feeding bowl. Since she is an older cat she may like that better. Will have to wait until I have a few extra bucks to spend to get one to try out.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I use the small Corelle bowls, too. Because I feed raw, I wanted to be able to put them in the dishwasher, so I bought a ton of them (and found them on sale at a great price!) so I have enough to last until I’m ready to run it. There are two humans so we probably generate fewer dirty dishes than the three cats! I use large clear Pyrex bowls for water.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have an unused water fountain because I never saw my cat drink water. But I mostly use bowls or flat dishes -- ceramic or stainless steel, never plastic. I also have the catit ball that I put kibble in sometimes, and am planning on purchasing more interactive/puzzle feeders in the future.

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use clear Pyrex bowls for the kittens and our Havanese so I can put them through the dishwasher after every meal. I have enough do that I can get through a day and a half before running the dishwasher. I feed the Havs frozen raw so feel it is especially important to wash the dishes thoroughly after each meal.

CommonCatOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How about certain soap dishes? I have seen more than one which had all the right characteristics.

jinxybean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I prefer the metal, rubber-based bowls from the pet store. Jinxy has a better time eating pate food from dishes that have a lip, as it keeps food from getting pushed out of the bowl. With flat-type bowls, some food gets lost over the edge and she's simply too lazy to search around for the bits that got away. But if it's all in the bowl, she eats it. Go figure.

Her water bowls are metal dog bowls, wide and shallow. She loves fresh water so I find it easiest to have basic bowls for cleaning/recharging the water 2x daily. :)