Cat bite

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I wasn’t sure where to post this. I’m just curious if anyone else had ever gotten bit by their cat really hard? My cats are all well tempered but one got out of the room where they were being kept while watching a friends dog for a few hours, and when I grabbed them the dog scared them and they bit me super hard with their fangs, and also scratched my arm pretty good. I’m just curious if anyone else had had this happen and if I should get it looked at. I know bites can be pretty serious but I cleaned it right away for about 2mins and used rubbing alcohol

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Deep bite wounds are totally different than scratches (which can generally be safely ignored or at most treated with a topical antibiotic) and real likely to get infected. True for cats, dogs, and bites from most animals, including human inflicted bite wounds. Mouths are home to tons of bacteria that don't belong in wounds. I know some docs can be jerks about this stuff, but I'd try and see if your primary will call in a prescription without seeing you. Seems like the exact type of thing where that makes sense. And honestly if its any kind of actual puncture bite as opposed to something very superficial, I'd go in if they make you go in. It will just be worse to deal with once infection sets in.

I've never had a cat bite me like this, but I've had cats get infections from other cat bites. Two infections for two bites. And that is my general understanding of what the odds are when there is a true puncture bite.

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’ve been bit many times hard by cats. I never had a problem. I know people can be hospitalized for cat bites, so really it is individual. You should ask your Doctor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve been bit really hard by our dog too, and it hurt for a few days and it went away fairly quickly after. I’ll just monitor everything and keep it covered up.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of mine nailed me good when I first brought him home. He has food issues and I was trying to hand-feed him something. I cleaned it as well as I could and put Bactine on it. It was right in the fleshy part of the thumb and deep, too. I thought it might get infected, since it was so deep, but it didn't.

Open wounds aren't a problem, as air can get to them and they dry out, but puncture wounds close up and seal any bad bugs in there. Those are the ones you have to worry about with cats. It's actually better if it bleeds, as the blood tends to flush out any infection.

Those are the same type of wounds that get to be a problem in cat fights as well. We used to have a tom that often came back after getting the short end of the stick. He'd get an abscess and would have to go to the vet and have a shot and a drain put in to flush out the infection. Poor little guy! He was fixed, too. I thought that was supposed to take care of the fighting tendency.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had deep bites maybe half a dozen times. Two of those bites ended up with infections requiring antibiotics. If you arent up to date on your tetanus shots, you should get one. Otherwise, I would wash very thoroughly with soap and water and then apply antibiotic cream and cover. But if there is any sign of swelling or spreading redness, go to a urgent care or your doctor immediately.

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would watch it closely and any sign of redness or heat I’d contact your health care provider. I’ve had a few cat bites that got infected (especially puncture wounds) despite me cleaning it immediately and doing all the usual things to prevent infection.