Cat bit vet tech

the spare human

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have to say you all seemed to handle these kinda situations way more level headed then I would of. I mean holy heck man...they work at a vet poking and prodding. I'd of lost it an on them! It's not the cats fault they don't know how to safely do their jobs! Idc who or what someone is an threat on my baby would send me over the edge. Make sure you let everyone in your area know to avoid that vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to say you all seemed to handle these kinda situations way more level headed then I would of. I mean holy heck man...they work at a vet poking and prodding. I'd of lost it an on them! It's not the cats fault they don't know how to safely do their jobs! Idc who or what someone is an threat on my baby would send me over the edge. Make sure you let everyone in your area know to avoid that vet.
If they tried to take her to quarantine at a shelter, I would lose it, but for now, I'm just trying to get through this and not make things worse for Juno by antagonizing the vet or animal control. As much as I want to fly into a rage, sometimes the quickest way out is through.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry this happened, I changed vets when I took my mum's cat Tom into the vet for her, warning the vet that Tom would bite, so they would need thick gloves, "oh he won't bite me" said the vet, stuck her bare hand into his carrier and dragged him out, she got a injection ready once he was on the table, went to give him it, and naturally he bit her, we never used that vet again

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they tried to take her to quarantine at a shelter, I would lose it...
If they tried to take one of MY cats, the next sound you would hear would be that of a shotgun shell racking into the chamber!

...this experience is making me second guess going to the vet...
You should second guess going to THAT particular vet!
They did not have to report you. They did NOT!

When you are a vet, animal bites are to be expected. It is part of the vet's job, a trained professional, to know when to report. Even when there is a law, it is the vet's job to know when the law applies and when it doesn't. In the case of a minor, incidental bite from known patient with little risk of transmitting disease, I don't believe that it would be reportable and most of the people on this site, many of whom are also trained professionals, would also agree.

Further, you have suffered losses directly caused by the vet's failure to use the professional training that they were given.
You had to postpone (or even cancel) an important business appointment because of this failure. You have suffered extra, needless expense because you had to stay home and care for a cat that isn't even sick. You are subject to unnecessary, bureaucratic scrutiny because they needlessly reported you. It is also obvious, from your postings, that you are suffering mental stress and anxiety because of this whole affair.

I'm not suggesting that you take legal action against this vet even though I think you could. It would probably end up with a lot of dragging through proverbial mud and, in the end, nobody would really win. I think most people reading this topic would agree with me.

However, I do think that you should go back to this vet, do a little bit of fist-pounding on the table and tell them why you will be shopping for a new vet.

I don't think anybody would disagree with me on that point!

the spare human

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm am glad to see tho that Juno has a level headed parent to look after them. I am sorry you had yo deal with all this. Some folks don't grasp that laws are made with a certain intention or "spirit" of the law. Also best of luck finding a cat specific vet. I hope you have better luck finding one in your area then I did in my area.

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not suggesting that you take legal action against this vet even though I think you could. It would probably end up with a lot of dragging through proverbial mud and, in the end, nobody would really win. I think most people reading this topic would agree with me.

However, I do think that you should go back to this vet, do a little bit of fist-pounding on the table and tell them why you will be shopping for a new vet.
I think that OP is better off NEVER going back to that particular vet. Perhaps a certified letter on legal letterhead detailing the losses that OP incurred due to this even and informing the vet you will be seeking a new Vet for your cat. And strongly implying if they complicate that you will pursue some form of remediation. It might put the fear of god into the Vet to dissuade them from acting so stupidly in the future.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for the result, but glad Juno gets to stay at home.

I wouldn't fault you for switching, but you may ask any new vets what their policy would be. I know there are probably vets that are a lot kinder about those kinds of things and wouldn't report unless it was a really serious injury (and I'm sure there are some that wouldn't report even then). Sometimes I think it may be clinic specific, sometimes maybe your local ordinances would require a report.

I've not had a run in with a vet, but I know my local urgent care reports all dog/cat bites, regardless of circumstances. I think it's a county law, but I know the ER doesn't necessarily report all bites (different county, though). I went in once with a "dog bite" (I accidentally kicked his tooth when I went to kick his ball at the same time he went to pick it up, and I was barefoot). The injury wasn't bad but my dad was certain it needed looked at for infection. They reported it; he was UTD on shots and thankfully could do his "quarantine" at home, but my dog is also reactive so I'm sure the deputy that came out to take his picture didn't believe for a second that it was an accident.

Likewise, they reported it when one of stray cats at my parents' farm bit me (and I had to do the rabies series) but as the kitten herself vanished and never returned, there wasn't much they could do in terms of quarantine. They never even came out to the house.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with everyone who said that you should find another vet. There is something very "off" about their handling of this and their willingness to put one of their own clients through an unnecessary and stressful situation. This may be a question of jurisdiction, but it is also brings up the fact that they knew that Juno very, very, very likely did not have rabies. It also brings up a question of their ability to handle a cat. This was not a tricky procedure and they were not able to successfully complete it without problems. Because of my own personal experience once, the latter would be a huge concern.

Keep your cool until the quarantine is up. Juno is at home and that is where she needs to stay. A rabies quarantine at a facility is not exactly like a stay at the cat hotel.

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my husband picked up our girl YanYan from her spay he noticed her cage had a sign "caution I BITE" 😨 Later my new vet noted her body language and took her to a private room to have assistance from another vet tech for her vaccination. Turns out she was all growl and no bite, they were impressed she held herself back.

Sorry that happened especially since it affected your work. I would honestly just look into vets and see if you can find one that may be a little more cautious.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you're handling this as calmly as possible. I think it only needs to big as big a deal as you make it and it all sounds very straightforward and standard to me.

The thing is: rabies is an incredibly serious disease and if a human contracts it and is not vaccinated in time, they will most likely die a horrible death. We know the likelihood your cat had it is basically 0 but this is why it is taken so seriously. We are fortunate to have vaccines for it.

Cat bites sometimes happen even to the best, most gentle, patient vet workers. When you handle that many animals every day, chances are you will get bit eventually. I don't think it needs to big a big deal at all. If your cat is typically especially stressed at the vet, ask for gabapentin to give beforehand as it will help her remain calm for handling and actually makes her forget the experience entirely. Some cats need this and that's ok. It makes it easier for them, for their parents, and for the veterinary staff.

Hope the remainder of Juno's quarantine goes well and the next phone call is an easy one!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seconding the "find another vet". They sound incompetent to handle cats. I don't think any of mine except maybe Magnus the Monster bit a vet, and there certainly wasn't any fuss made if he did - though as mani mani said, we don't have rabies here. My current vets also let me hold the girls if necessary, though usually it isn't, or they wrap them, or get a nurse to help. All of which I would have thought was standard procedure, not making a mess of it and then going heavy with The Law. 🙄

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you're handling this as calmly as possible. I think it only needs to big as big a deal as you make it and it all sounds very straightforward and standard to me.

The thing is: rabies is an incredibly serious disease and if a human contracts it and is not vaccinated in time, they will most likely die a horrible death. We know the likelihood your cat had it is basically 0 but this is why it is taken so seriously. We are fortunate to have vaccines for it.

Cat bites sometimes happen even to the best, most gentle, patient vet workers. When you handle that many animals every day, chances are you will get bit eventually. I don't think it needs to big a big deal at all. If your cat is typically especially stressed at the vet, ask for gabapentin to give beforehand as it will help her remain calm for handling and actually makes her forget the experience entirely. Some cats need this and that's ok. It makes it easier for them, for their parents, and for the veterinary staff.

Hope the remainder of Juno's quarantine goes well and the next phone call is an easy one!
I'm not going to raise a stink right now, because this whole thing has really only affected me, not Juno. But I do think the policy is stupid for not leaving any discretion. Why get your indoor cat vaccinated if up-to-date vaccination status will not prevent needing to quarantine, and getting the vaccine may actually be the but-for cause of needing to quarantine (i.e., that's why Juno bit; because she was stuck with a needle)? I'm actually super paranoid/terrified about rabies (during one phase of my life, I had to be vaccinated against it), and yet this whole thing seems more like unthinking bureaucracy than anything else.

The logic behind the policy seems to be that an animal that bites is more likely to have rabies / biting can be a sign of rabies, but that seems patently untrue when the animal in question bit while getting stuck with a rabies vaccine. And my understanding is that the outcome of the quarantine is unrelated to whether the person who was bit needs treatment; if they're at genuine risk they need to get treated right away and can't wait until the end of the 10 day quarantine. (Meaning, it's not like the quarantine helps the person bitten by letting them avoid treatment).

I dunno. I'm frustrated but resigned.... so long as this all ends with nothing more than stress and inconvenience to me, and no harm to Juno.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh for pity's sake, like having a stranger shove a needle into them isn't likely to make most animals bite or figh against it somehow! I'm just lucky Phoebe's got used to her monthly B12 shots and that they are only into the skin (how deep are rabies shots?).

TBH this vet tech sounds inexperienced and/or inept and/or a bit precious. And no, I'm not underestimating the seriousness of rabies. But an indoor cat with up-to-date vaccinations? Pffft.