Cat Bite Vet Tech. Should I Be Worried?

liz35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brought my cat in a week ago to a new vet to get up to date on vaccines and get blood work. I try to avoid taking him to the vet because he gets aggressive. I warned the vet that it took 3 vet techs to hold him down the last time he got shots. They took him in the back room and I heard a bunch of screaming from my cat. They came back in the room and said they were not a able to get anything from my cat because he was willing to fight for his life. They had me come back to the vet today after giving the cat a sedative to try again. This time everything went OK but the tech told me that last week my cat did bite one of the other techs. Now I am worried about the whole reporting your cat to animal control/quarantine thing? Can a vet do that if my cat bit a tech? If they didn't mention reporting it today at this visit, do you think I'm OK? I wonder if the vet tech was wearing protect gloves last week, so I'm kind of upset that I don't know if they took proper precautions. My cat has never been outside in 13 years and I know he doesn't have Rabies. Help! Thank you!

saladflambe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the best course of action would be to call the vet and ask. The internet is providing mixed answers. And, also, there's a chance the bite didn't break the skin - I'm not sure if that's a factor.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If they took a week to tell you, -and then it was somewhat "oh by the way", I'm thinking they are not interested in taking any action against you.
Granted, people can be difficult to know, but I think you're ok.

I really wish they had listened to you and had worked out providing the sedative the first time, but since that didn't happen, hopefully your cat is ok and not still upset?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

liz35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for easing my worried. Kitty is ok. He is still a little out of it, I’m assuming from the sedative. And he is not wanting to be picked up, I’m guessing because his back legs are sore from the injections??

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:redheartpump:

Possibly, or he's grumpy about it all, or also, what I'm thinking is that his sense of balance and where he is in relation to things around him might also be affected, and being lifted could be mentally uncomfortable?

How is he now?
Maybe some extra-special treats for him, even some goat milk.

Hugospal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's not fair to assume that it's their job to get bitten by animals since that's the job they chose, but those who work at vet offices know the risk and aren't likely to report your cat to animal control, unless maybe his rabies shot wasn't up to date. Some places might require quarantine by law if that's the case, but I think that's the only way anyone would have to call animal control.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the cat is vaccinated against rabies you have nothing to worry about. People who work with animals, vet clinics, groomers, trainers etc cannot sue because of a bite. The occasional bite is a risk that comes with the job.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say the same thing, a vet's tech is sure to know the hazards of working with animals. Your cat did not attack the person that got bit, the person was actively restraining, possibly hurting your cat, and got bit in the process.Your cat was scared out of his mind and cannot be held responsible. He has been vaccinated before, and the vaccinations last a lot longer than what they say, so everything will be OK. I have put on my carrier in bold black marker....FERAL CAT -WILL BITE! and techs still reach in and grab a wild, scared cat. I would suggest that the next time your cat is brought in, use a sedative, and mark your carrier, it will make everything go smoother. I always warn them in person too, when I bring a scared cat in. The last time they tried to worm pill my Casper, the vet, the tech, and my husband all ended up with blood running down their arms! They may ignore me, but they have been warned!