Cat Basket

Jedjilbert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, can anyone help me. We have a long journey with our cat, it`s going to take 15 hours from North East France to Cornwall England. Her old basket, we`ve decided, is not big enough.
Somebody has offered to give us theirs, but i`m worried the scent of another cat will stress our cat out, or am i worrying too much about this? any advice would be appreciated.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Somebody has offered to give us theirs, but i`m worried the scent of another cat will stress our cat out, or am i worrying too much about this?
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

What I can think of is way before the trip, soak up as much scent from your cat with towels or blankets and stuff it into the borrowed carrier for a few days and repeat till the carrier has no other scents but only your cat's.

If it's a plastic carrier, wash it with mild vinegar and mild soap and rinse well.

Here are a few articles for you to read :-

36-awesome-tips-for-road-tripping-with-your-cat.30165

traveling-with-cats.29652

how-to-move-with-your-cat-to-a-new-home-in-a-safe-way.33377

beware-the-dreaded-cat-carrier.29671

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jedjilbert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! That`s a lot of good information. We have a few weeks to prepare, so i`m a little more confident. Best Wishes.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you're lining the carrier with a towel or blanket, it might help to sleep with it for a couple of days so it smells like you.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:yeah:

And also once the carrier is clear of the other cat's scent, leave it out so that your kitty can get use to it. Leave it around for her to smell and get into and play around it so that when that day comes, she won't be terrified by getting into it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it's a plastic carrier, take it apart and wash it out and even use a diluted bleach solution. Let it air dry outside in the sun.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jedjilbert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I shall try them all!