Cat barely eating

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
FIV+ is not a death sentence. And, the fact that he has lived this long with it (he has likely had it quite a while) goes to show you he has a good 'constitution'. I don't recall seeing any information about things you might try to get him to eat - so, sorry, if I somehow missed it. Check out all these ideas - Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!. Also, folks here are talking about being successful with Kentucky Fried Chicken, or an equivalent if you don't have that around you.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Fiv isn't as aggressive as HIV even though they are in the same family. Some cats have Fiv and people don't know it until a wellness screening. It's more serious for outdoor cats though who may be exposed to illness and spread it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ana94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope I can help him recover at least a little from this period..I've read about fiv and I know it's not necessarily a death sentence but his weight loss is really concerning. He has dropped further(he is now ~3.4) despite eating a little more consistently lately.
He seems to be having some gastrointestinal issue too because he is doing ok for a few days and then the next day he either vomits or has diarrhea or both..and it's been going on for the last 2-3 weeks.
I really don't know what else to do besides give him meds and diet food.

NadiaRey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey there, Ana. I know this thread is a couple of months old but, if you're still around. I just got a diagnosis myself for my Gremlin. He is going to start with Interferon Omega today. But I wanted to tell you that I started giving him seafood, because of its antiviral properties (it's also recommended for people with covid today, in fact).

It might be a coincidence but I feel he looks a lot better. He's not losing weight so far. In fact, I think he's gaining weight. If you want to try it out, that's what I'd suggest. Particularly octopi, shrimp - any of the species that have hemocyanin (blue blood). Because they have copper in the blood and blood kills viruses.

Much luck to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ana94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there, Ana. I know this thread is a couple of months old but, if you're still around. I just got a diagnosis myself for my Gremlin. He is going to start with Interferon Omega today. But I wanted to tell you that I started giving him seafood, because of its antiviral properties (it's also recommended for people with covid today, in fact).

It might be a coincidence but I feel he looks a lot better. He's not losing weight so far. In fact, I think he's gaining weight. If you want to try it out, that's what I'd suggest. Particularly octopi, shrimp - any of the species that have hemocyanin (blue blood). Because they have copper in the blood and blood kills viruses.

Much luck to you.
Hey Nadia!
Thanks for your answer, I will keep it in mind in case he starts feeling worse again.
At the moment he is doing a little better and eating..he dropped to 2.7 these past few months and now he's back at 3kg so I guess that's something.
I'm still not sure what caused his symptoms, if it was the FIV or something else. Coincidentally he started eating better a few days after I gave him deworming medication, but all the previous tests for parasites were negative.
Besides this, I've also given him two supplements for boosting the immunity for 60 days.

Thanks again and best of luck to you and Gremlin.