Cat attacking her brother

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I didn’t realize at the time that a tortie would have probably preferred to be an only cat. You know how torties are! Maggie was diagnosed with prednisone-induced diabetes not long after that and, sadly, had an awful hypoglycemic event and didn’t make it. She is the precious kitty in my avatar photo. Five years ago, I walked into a Petco and heard someone loudly yelling. It was a little, short tortie girl. I stuck my finger into the cage, she grabbed it with her paw and there I went again, back to tortie school. This one, Rena, had been rescued during a police raid on an active meth house. She and her two tiny kittens were covered in fleas, filthy, and required lots of medical care. The kittens were adopted quickly, but nobody wanted Rena (I kept her name, which means something similar to second chance in Hebrew). All potential adopters were afraid of high vet bills. I didn’t care, she was mine. I can now say that I know much more about torties. Rena has disdain for her brothers and sisters because she isn’t a cat, she‘s a person, lol. She’d as soon swat a cat in the face as look at it, but at times she deigns to snuggle with them. She is livin’ the life, curled beside me right now, sleeping off her late lunch like the princess she is. Sorry to hijack, but I so love a fellow tortie lover. :)
...as do I, which is why I had to jump in, too. I adopted Tarifa at 11 months from a friend who did rescue/adoptions. She passed last August 17th. She would have been 18 that September. A sweeter, more social cat I have never met, and I've met a LOT of cats.
IMG_0461.JPG

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:blush:
...as do I, which is why I had to jump in, too. I adopted Tarifa at 11 months from a friend who did rescue/adoptions. She passed last August 17th. She would have been 18 that September. A sweeter, more social cat I have never met, and I've met a LOT of cats.
View attachment 391182
Oh, what a gorgeous girl! And I love her name. I’m so sorry for your loss of this little beauty. I know how it hurts. This is my funny Rena, lol.
1628635587002.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Your little angel Rena is lovely as well! SNORGLES on her from me :hearthrob: :dancingblackcat::hearthrob: *I had just lost a baby of not yet 3 months to wet-form FIP and was devastated. I was looking to open my heart and home to another kitten, and I called my friend, told her the qualities I was hoping for, and right away, she recommended this girl. When I visited her, two things made me pause: at eleven months, she was older than I had thought to adopt, and I had never met, or thought about, a tortoiseshell. Now I will never STOP thinking about a tortoiseshell. And she was absolutely a PERFECT fit for our family from day one. She never met anyone she didn't love, it seems.*
IMG_0431.JPG

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In addition to scent rubbing, if that doesn't work, a separation for a "reset" is a good idea whenever cats that were formerly good start having problems with each other.
This is what I suggested to the people that I know who had the same issue with their two cats. I suggested them to separate the two cats in two different places (cattery, foster houses, whatever was neutral to both of them) for a week or two and then reintroduce them to each other in their home.
I thought it was a good idea, but their vets were against it.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A separation while being boatded in adjacent kitty condos at the vet for ten days worked for mine. The were right next to each other and, I suppose, bonded because they were in territory that didn’t belong to them. I was boarding because of being out of town. Expensive way to achieve the goal, otherwise. Frankly, I was shocked when I brought them home and all was calm.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what I suggested to the people that I know who had the same issue with their two cats. I suggested them to separate the two cats in two different places (cattery, foster houses, whatever was neutral to both of them) for a week or two and then reintroduce them to each other in their home.
I thought it was a good idea, but their vets were against it.
Well, the only thing I can (politely) say is that vets are people too, with human foibles; and just like with human-specific doctors, there are times when I disagree with them.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Your little angel Rena is lovely as well! SNORGLES on her from me :hearthrob: :dancingblackcat::hearthrob: *I had just lost a baby of not yet 3 months to wet-form FIP and was devastated. I was looking to open my heart and home to another kitten, and I called my friend, told her the qualities I was hoping for, and right away, she recommended this girl. When I visited her, two things made me pause: at eleven months, she was older than I had thought to adopt, and I had never met, or thought about, a tortoiseshell. Now I will never STOP thinking about a tortoiseshell. And she was absolutely a PERFECT fit for our family from day one. She never met anyone she didn't love, it seems.*View attachment 391190
She is such a beautiful girl. Isn’t it funny how every cat is such a distinct little spirit? As individual as people. Our girls have similar markings. I know exactly what you mean, torties can take or leave other cats, but they LOVE people. Rena loves visitors, she races up to them, lol. Nothing remotely standoffish about her. Torties are full of tortitude and I adore them for it. I am so glad you got Tarifa to help heal your broken heart, and so sorry she isn’t still with you. I saw Elvis and Suba, just beautiful. I have a grey/black tabby, Fritz and a tuxedo boy, Oliver. Also my gorgeous Maine Coon wild child, Bikky and a little orange tabby girl, Mia. They are my loves, all rescues. I read the loveliest quote on this forum yesterday - “My cat knows the song in my heart and purrs it to me when my memory fails.” Will you adopt another tortie?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is such a beautiful girl. Isn’t it funny how every cat is such a distinct little spirit? As individual as people. Our girls have similar markings. I know exactly what you mean, torties can take or leave other cats, but they LOVE people. Rena loves visitors, she races up to them, lol. Nothing remotely standoffish about her. Torties are full of tortitude and I adore them for it. I am so glad you got Tarifa to help heal your broken heart, and so sorry she isn’t still with you. I saw Elvis and Suba, just beautiful. I have a grey/black tabby, Fritz and a tuxedo boy, Oliver. Also my gorgeous Maine Coon wild child, Bikky and a little orange tabby girl, Mia. They are my loves, all rescues. I read the loveliest quote on this forum yesterday - “My cat knows the song in my heart and purrs it to me when my memory fails.” Will you adopt another tortie?
Tarifa LOVED other cats and people! She had no "attitude" at all. She never met anyone she didn't love, it seems. She was the most social being! right from the start. My friend who rescued her said as much when I told her I needed a kitten who could fit in with a big multicat family. She recommended her right away, and she was absolutely on point in her assessment of her character. Yes, cats' personalities are every bit as individual as humans'. And there is so much about them that we need to learn!
I want to adopt, so much! But Suha is 16 and born feral, bonded only to me, and she already feels pretty put upon by Elvis, who joined us 4 years ago at age 9 and is very territorial and prey-driven. He chases her a lot and she hates it. Plus, we have roomies now whose room is the former introduction room for new adoptees. So it doesn't seem very probable for the forseeable future, but I hope that somehow, some day, I will be able to adopt again. The house seems very empty with only two cats, which is one big reason I got roomies when Tarifa was still with us. I moved here with nine and over time, only Suha was left, so I adopted Elvis.
IMG_0964.JPG

*Beloved angel Tarifa in her office*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dalia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is really important to make sure that he has a safe space somewhere Where he actually knows that she cannot get to him. It’s also important really love him up when he knows he’s safe To help him rebuild his confidence and security.
It is really getting bad, we separated them but every time she can scape she attacks him. Now he is so afraid and hiding all the time and she is crying all the time she is in her room.
We bought a gate and let each in a separate floor but she managed to go through the railing and attaching him again. The vet wrote them a medicine but nothing is working and it is getting worse by the day

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So sorry to read that things are getting worse. Wish I had something to suggest that might make things better, but keeping them separated and trying to re-introduce seems like the only thing you can do right now. And try to spend time with both cats, especially your males cat, who is now scared of her. Fingers crossed things start to get better soon.