Cat ate quail foot attached to leg bone

kutenaicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I truly need advice from people with some actual experience with this type of situation

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kutenaicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know if she can digest and/or pass this without problems. It happened two days ago and she seemed comfortable that day. I can't tell if she is in any distress right now because she is staying on her heating pad because the weather got colder

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, quail is something raw feeders feed to their cats.

Was this quail cooked or raw? If it was cooked, the main concern is the bones which can cause an intestinal perforation or blockage. Where did you buy the quail from that has the feet still attached? Poultry sold in supermarkets have the feet removed.

If you have concerns, the best thing to do is to call the vet. The after hours voice message will tell you who to call for emergencies. if teh cat seems ok at the moment, most likely the vet will just tell you to monitor the cat and keep a close eye on appetite and the litter box. if the cat stops eating or doesn't use the litter box, that's a concern and it would be best to take your cat to the vet right away.

kutenaicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Raw, she had caught and killed the quail and I had separated the leg from the rest and next thing I knew she had consumed the whole leg and foot. She crunched the bones but I'm pretty sure the whole thing went down in one long but broken piece

kutenaicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't afford the cost of a vet visit on a holiday, unfortunately.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok. Quail bones are really small so the chance of it causing any sort of internal issue is small but do keep an eye on the cat anyways. Keep her indoors for the next few days so you can monitor.

If a vet visit is needed today (or any other non-normal regular business day), the vet may have some sort of financial aid for pet owners in need. Or look for help from these places:

kutenaicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is an outdoor/previously feral cat, so I can't do much for monitoring her bowels. Has anyone witnessed this type of thing before?

kutenaicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok. Quali bones are really small so the chance of it causing any sort of internal issue is small but do keep an eye on the cat anyways. Keep her indoors for the next few days so you can monitor.
She is an outdoor/previously feral cat, so I can't do much for monitoring her bowels. Has anyone witnessed this type of thing before?
I truly need advice from people with some actual experience with this type of situation
Ok. Quail bones are really small so the chance of it causing any sort of internal issue is small but do keep an eye on the cat anyways. Keep her indoors for the next few days so you can monitor.

If a vet visit is needed today (or any other non-normal regular business day), the vet may have some sort of financial aid for pet owners in need. Or look for help from these places:

[/URL]
I know she has been eating her food. Maybe less than usual but a decent amount. I will try to get her up and about and see how she is moving and whatnot.

kutenaicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: tried to bring her inside and that got her moving but I can tell she still doesn't feel good. I'm making her a secure kennel inside do I can monitor her eating/drinking and elimination.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat swallowed too big pieces of raw chicken wing bones. Or leg? I don’t remember. I didn’t know that at the time, he was working on his piece as he would usually do, but I didn’t monitor him long enough. That was in the evening, and he was acting totally fine, but it’s possible I slept through any distress he was having. He woke me up at 5am vomiting 3 longish pieces of bone. I took him to the vet, we assumed he vomited it all so he was just given Cerenia and I was told to monitor him like a hawk. He was pretty tired after that but he was totally fine after all.

Does she hurt when you touch her lightly? If she doesn’t feel good, I’d take her to the wet...

kutenaicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I picked her up without her seeming to hurt but I did it supporting her feet and not grabbing her around the belly. I will feel her abdomen when I move her inside. What is cerenia?

kutenaicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat swallowed too big pieces of raw chicken wing bones. Or leg? I don’t remember. I didn’t know that at the time, he was working on his piece as he would usually do, but I didn’t monitor him long enough. That was in the evening, and he was acting totally fine, but it’s possible I slept through any distress he was having. He woke me up at 5am vomiting 3 longish pieces of bone. I took him to the vet, we assumed he vomited it all so he was just given Cerenia and I was told to monitor him like a hawk. He was pretty tired after that but he was totally fine after all.

Does she hurt when you touch her lightly? If she doesn’t feel good, I’d take her to the wet...
Thank you for sharing your experience. Definitely encouraging in my situation.

kutenaicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today is going much better. My cat Jade spent the night inside and I let her outside this morning and have been coaxing her in every little bit to warm up. My makeshift litter box didn't work out so I don't know anything except she is urinating. She is eating and drinking good today. I'm going to try to keep her in for the night again.
2019-03-01 21.28.59.jpg

kutenaicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today is going much better. My cat Jade spent the night inside and I let her outside this morning and have been coaxing her in every little bit to warm up. My makeshift litter box didn't work out so I don't know anything except she is urinating. She is eating and drinking good today. I'm going to try to keep her in for the night again.View attachment 309893
Jade on her element, showing her colors last summer

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Outside cats eats birds all the time. If cats got sick from eating little birdie feet they probably wouldn't be such a successful species in most of the world ;). If she isn't feeling well it's probably a separate issue.

If she eats wildlife, it's best to have her on a regular de-worming schedule.

I hope she's feeling fine now!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, my cats have ate big birds whole, they usually just leave the feathers and the head. They eat mice whole too, they just spit out the spleen. (It;s a small green organ anyway, I still don't know how they do this) Raw animal bones are digested, so would the feet. I would just monitor teh cat, what she ate is perfectly normal in teh wild, she has most likely ate a lot worse!