cat anorexia and diarrhea

kalypso

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all!
My cat is 9yo and sleeps indoor, but may go out too during the day. She was out this Saturday too. She has been off since Saturday evening, she didn't eat her evening meal until Sunday morning, and had a watery diarrhea three times on Sunday until afternoon. I called her vet, who told me to give her a human antidiarrhea medicine named ercefuryl (it contains nifuroxazide) and food for gastro intestinal issues. The medicine worked, as she hasn't pooped yet today. However she is still anorexic and will only eat food that is mousse, or lick the gravy of gravy food. She won't eat her regular food or the gastro intestinal food, which are pate. She is also not her energetic self, she just wants to cuddle on me. Today Monday is a big holiday here, so her vet and the nearby clinic are not open. I try to understand if she is in pain on her belly, but she never allowed me to pet her there, she would always grab my hand and bite it. Today, she has eaten one 85gr gourmet mousse tin, and one third of a purina a/d tin, and I will offer another gourmet in the evening. Do you think this sounds like an emergency?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Is it possible that she ate something she shouldn't have when she was outside? Is she drinking ok? Has she thrown up at all? Keep offering her food that she will eat multiple times during the day, and watch over her for any additional signs of trouble. She is older so, I would definitely take her into the vet tomorrow, unless she get worse today which then would warrant an emergency vet visit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kalypso

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi FeebysOwner, thanks for your reply!
She does hunt and eat little lizards, grasshoppers, baby mice, or a bird if she's lucky. But I don't know if she ate anything on Saturday or what else she could have eaten that she shouldn't have...
She drinks water ok and hasn't thrown up. Just is more sleepy and clingy to me than usual and has lost her appetite to eat, and only eats gourmet mousse or a/d mousse. And I also have to sit by her and encourage her, or add a little fortiflora to lure her. It's diffucult to compare quantities, as her regular food is different (mac's and granatapet pate), but she does eat less quantity. She just had some for dinner before, then drank water, peed and then had a bit of diarrhea but not as wattery as yesterday, when it was like a water faucet (sorry for being so gross). She hadn't pooped all day today. So, I gave her a bit less of the dose of the anti-diarrhea medicine. I will offer her mousse multiple times as you say! I just don't know if it could be contributing to diarhea as it is not gastro intestinal food, but I suppose it is more crucial for her to keep eating!

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could try blending her main food into a slurpable consistency with a bullet blender or something like that

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kalypso

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did blend the gastro intestinal food with a bit water, but she only had a little, I will try it with her regular food too as I think it is of better quality!
Do you think this kind of diarrhea could be also from parasites? Mabe it's more than 3 months since she had her pill.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she hasn't returned to normal eating by now, I would get her to the vet for a check up. They might need to do an x-ray (radiograph) to check for a possible blockage.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She does hunt and eat little lizards, grasshoppers, baby mice
Do you think this kind of diarrhea could be also from parasites? Mabe it's more than 3 months since she had her pill.
She probably can't find a lizard or grasshopper in this weather. If she hunts baby mice though, regardless of if she eats or not, it increases her chances of getting intestinal worms if she hunted a mouse/rat in the last 3 months.

Of course it could be a stomach bug from something she ate or drank outside and she may need antibiotics after a blood/stool test at the vet.

Hope she feels better.