Cat Anesthesia?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do they give cats for general anesthesia for spay and neuter surgeries? Some people say their cats come home all dopey and stumble around drunk. I've seen videos to that effect. Mine all came home within a few hours of their procedures and acted normal.

Maybe some vet clinics give cats Propofol for general anesthesia. If so, that would explain why my cats were so perky when they returned. The stuff is wonderful in the proper hands. I know; I've been knocked out with it several times for medical procedures and you come out from under it quick and feel fine.

What seems to cause all the grogginess? Anybody know?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It was a long time ago (2010) but when Feeby went through bladder surgery for stone removal, my vet used isoflurane. Don't even know if they still use it, but she had no apparent effects from it after coming home same day as surgery.

Same anesthesia was used for her 2007 spay - same results. She even managed to escape the house the same day she came home and tried to chase down another cat that was in my garage!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no idea what they used for my two, it was a number of years ago. They weren't doped up or stumbling around.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have no idea too about it too but I guess they may administer it according to the weight, health and time taken to do the procedure.

Also after the surgery, they stay at the vet's for some time for observation before asking us to pick them up and by that time, most of the anesthesia effect might have worn off.

My boy came back acting normal after his neuter surgery.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
There can be a combination of drugs used for spay/neuter surgery. I'm sure every cat reacts differently to different anesthetics and dosage. Here is an overview that might be helpful: What Is Used to Put Cats to Sleep During Spaying?

It was a long time ago (2010) but when Feeby went through bladder surgery for stone removal, my vet used isoflurane. Don't even know if they still use it, but she had no apparent effects from it after coming home same day as surgery.
Yes, isoflurane is still used especially for brachycephalic breeds in conjunction with other anesthesia.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There can be a combination of drugs used for spay/neuter surgery. I'm sure every cat reacts differently to different anesthetics and dosage. Here is an overview that might be helpful: What Is Used to Put Cats to Sleep During Spaying?

Yes, isoflurane is still used especially for brachycephalic breeds in conjunction with other anesthesia.
Good to know! I just think it is my vet's choice of anesthesia. Feeby is nowhere near a brachycephalic breed!!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista gets isoflurane too. Her Dr says it’s a milder anesthetic good for older or weaker patients. Krista was a little feral coming off it yesterday. That or the vet techs aren’t handling her right. But otherwise she’s usually just groggy and sleeps it off. I get a local anesthetic when I have dental work done and I just want to come home and sleep that off too.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No one has ever come home all dopey. They're calm, as I've requested pain relief for the procedure. The only reaction we've had to anesthesia was when Tommy got his teeth cleaned, and it made him paranoid, anxious, and aggressive. He's been under a General multiple times before.
Yue got her spay and came home and laid in my lap for a few hours with her tummy up. Stewart acted just like himself. Samus and Ashley seemed fine, too. Ashley's personality changed a little from there on, having removed his testicles.
My dog was doped out after her teeth extractions.
Amalie has always been fine after her teeth extractions, but this last time she was high on Simbadol.