Cat and Kitten won't let each other use litter box. No aggression. Just play. Help!!

Picky_Piki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
TL;DR:
How do I get the kitten to leave the older cat alone when he's trying to use the bathroom?
Do you have a litter box that helps deter each other from playing with one another?

________

We had 3 litter boxes.
2 hooded and 1 open.
Now we just have 2 hooded.

________

The open top cheap low sided one became their favorite to use.

_________

Behavior Number 1 - They do this annoying bathroom dance. One goes and then the other goes immediately on top and then the first goes again and it continues until they are just running and playing in the litter box. And the kitten is practically getting pooped and peed on and we have to move him because he's trying to sniff it as it's happening. So the kitten just always stinks.

Behavior Number2 -Now it's progressed to the kitten not leaving the older cat alone when he's trying to go to the bathroom. Stopping him mid use and trying to play with him. When we see the older cat is trying to use the litter box, we try putting the kitten in his crate. However, when we do, the older cat doesn't want to go to the bathroom anymore and is more interested in the kitten being in the crate. Mostly because we feed the kitten in there and the older cat wants the kitten food.

So because of their playing (no hissing or growling. Purely just play) They are flinging litter EVERYWHERE. Even to the point of us finding little bits of poop here and there like the cats chased each other out of the litter box before they could finish dropping that last little nugget. (so not full poops).

We then decided to remove the open top litter-box because of the mayhem and lack of letting each other use the littler box.
And now they just have the 2 hooded litter boxes. Which my bigger cat seems less than interested to using, now that he's used the open top which fits him better.

These are the litter boxes we have
Container Store Litter Box

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Though it's not the same, when someone posts about another cat bullying a second cat in the litter box, we usually suggest getting more litter boxes and putting them in different rooms around the home, so that the chances of the bully, or in your case the curious, playful kitten, being able to monitor all the litter boxes at the same time is impossible.

If it gets really bad, you could get a get a collar activated cat flap door for the room you want for the adult cat's litter box. But hopefully the kitten will outgrow this obsession before that becomes a necessity.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Stopping him mid use and trying to play with him. When we see the older cat is trying to use the litter box, we try putting the kitten in his crate.
You will definitely need to devise a different method of distracting or containing the kitten elsewhere, because the older kitty could develop health issues if this goes on for too long. Additionally, see about giving him his open litterbox back along with another couple of them possibly.

Along with rubysmama's other thought there's this for one litterbox, where you could use a collar with a chip to activate the door/flap or there might be ones that are activated by the cat's identification microchip;

And this might help;
How To Bathe Small Kittens The Safe Way – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Picky_Piki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay that is the coolest thing I've ever seen!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Picky_Piki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You will definitely need to devise a different method of distracting or containing the kitten elsewhere, because the older kitty could develop health issues if this goes on for too long. Additionally, see about giving him his open litterbox back along with another couple of them possibly.

Along with rubysmama's other thought there's this for one litterbox, where you could use a collar with a chip to activate the door/flap or there might be ones that are activated by the cat's identification microchip;

And this might help;
How To Bathe Small Kittens The Safe Way – TheCatSite Articles

Thank you for the tips! These are great and I'm definitely going to show my husband. Also thanks for the bathing tip. Right now we've been wiping him with waterless cat shampoo. We just don't want to bath him a million times and are half hoping this will pass when he gets a little older and then we will give him a good bath. Unless of course he has obvious pee or other things on him. Right now he's just stinky.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We then decided to remove the open top litter-box because of the mayhem and lack of letting each other use the littler box.
And now they just have the 2 hooded litter boxes. Which my bigger cat seems less than interested to using, now that he's used the open top which fits him better.
You don't want "less than Interested" to turn in to "won't use" or a health issue from holding it. I'd put the topless box back out surrounded by litter mats. You're adult needs better escape routes.

This behaviour is gross to us humans but very normal in kittens. The little one will grow out of it. My 2 7mt kittens try to check out the humans as well as their brother. Your adult is going into play mode rather than angry or scared which is a good thing.

You can try distracting kitten with toys when adult goes to litter. Grab the kitten and walk around other parts of the house. I show them upper shelves and inside closets. It keeps their interest long enough for Sqeeker to finish.

One of mine thinks she's a backhoe and tosses out tons of litter and the occasional poop. I now keep baby wipes, paper towels, and a spray bottle of my all purpose cleaner on every level. All purpose cleaner = 1/3 lysol floor cleaner to 2/3 water. We also bought a handheld vacuum with washable filters.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Okay that is the coolest thing I've ever seen!!
I agree. And much better than putting a cat flap door in an actual door.

Thanks for posting it, Furballsmom Furballsmom . I'm going to bookmark your post for future reference.

And good luck with your situation, Picky_Piki Picky_Piki . I hope some of the suggestions help.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitten WILL outgrow this, it will just take time. I think they have made it into a game and will continue to do it until something better comes around. get two kickeroos on Amazon or some other Pet toy site, and keep one in a bag with catnip to keep it fresh. Shake it out over a trash can. Throw it towards the kitten away from the box when he is stalking. The toy is irresistible. The thing is, no matter WHAT you use for distraction, get them out of the routine of using the box as playtime. Cats LOVE routine and it is hard to break them of habits, but you have to be persistent.