Cat anal glands

Selena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cat had loose stool issues because i gave him for adoption and they didn’t feed him good food long story short i got him back in horrible shape he have digestion problem because of that he was having lose stool so few days ago I noticed he had swelling on hes bum so i took him to vet he said it was anal glans he express anal glans and it was painful for him but since that day he is having discharge of sometimes clear sometimes watery blood again i took him to vet he got blood test done and xray and said no infection he will be okay it will take time he gave medicine for stool softener so its not painful for him to poop he doesn’t lick that much the area he eat and drink normal I don’t know why he have bloody discharge vet said u might see this in few days till he gets normal im so scared and I cannot find anything online anyone had any problem like this? When the swelling will go down? Or why he having bloody discharge

Attachments

KimBelden

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Feed him a high quality wet food. In the long run, it will help in many ways.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Selena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feed him a high quality wet food. In the long run, it will help in many ways.
im feeding him royal canin and vet said its good
Do u think he will be okay in few days?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is the discharge coming from the anal glands or from his anus? If from the glands, when they expressed them, was everything intact or was there a rupture? Does everything look ok back there, or is there an open wound? One of my cats had a ruptured anal gland and there was some bloody discharge. If this is coming from the anus itself, does it happen during pooping, or when your cat is just sitting around?

We cannot guarantee that simply be eating the Royal Canin wet food your cat will be better in a few days, but hopefully that will be the case. I do think if this is coming from the anal glands food will not help.

Selena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is the discharge coming from the anal glands or from his anus? If from the glands, when they expressed them, was everything intact or was there a rupture? Does everything look ok back there, or is there an open wound? One of my cats had a ruptured anal gland and there was some bloody discharge. If this is coming from the anus itself, does it happen during pooping, or when your cat is just sitting around?

We cannot guarantee that simply be eating the Royal Canin wet food your cat will be better in a few days, but hopefully that will be the case. I do think if this is coming from the anal glands food will not help.
Its coming from hes anus there is no wound he said everything was ok but there is swelling on leg side its even shows in xray it doesn’t happen when he poops it happens when he normally seat or sleep sometimes
Im giving him carrots vet said its good for anal glans he didn’t say glans where ruptured
I want to know this can happen till the swelling go down or its not normal because vet told me u don’t have to worry if he will not get fine in few days the have to give him some medicine which have side effects but for now wait and let him heal
I just saw after he pooped there was like 2 drops of same discharge in the pic I checked the poop also there was no blood on it
How long it took for ur cat to heal? Was there swelling for him? After how long the bloody discharge stopped?

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im giving him carrots vet said its good for anal glans he didn’t say glans where ruptured

Carrots won't help anal gland issues :dunno: It's not like a piece of carrot will pass through the digestive tract completely intact and press against the glands to express them. If it's fiber that the cat needs to help with general digestive health and firm poop, there are other things you can give like canned pumpkin.

Is there another vet you can take your cat to? Some vets just throw out random band aid treatments without bothering to determine the cause of the issue.

Selena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Carrots won't help anal gland issues :dunno: It's not like a piece of carrot will pass through the digestive tract completely intact and press against the glands to express them. If it's fiber that the cat needs to help with general digestive health and firm poop, there are other things you can give like canned pumpkin.

Is there another vet you can take your cat to? Some vets just throw out random band aid treatments without bothering to determine the cause of the issue.
He gave some medicine for digestion issue it has fiber also
My only worry is about anal glans
Why u think I should change my vet?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its coming from hes anus there is no wound he said everything was ok but there is swelling on leg side its even shows in xray it doesn’t happen when he poops it happens when he normally seat or sleep sometimes
I want to know this can happen till the swelling go down or its not normal because vet told me u don’t have to worry if he will not get fine in few days the have to give him some medicine which have side effects but for now wait and let him heal
I just saw after he pooped there was like 2 drops of same discharge in the pic I checked the poop also there was no blood on it
How long it took for ur cat to heal? Was there swelling for him? After how long the bloody discharge stopped?
My cat did NOT have swelling in her leg, and the discharge basically stopped right after the Vet visit because the Vet cleaned out the wound and put her on antibiotics, then told us what to do at home to help her. (warm compresses and a wound cream) But this isn't the same thing as what is happening to your cat since our cat had a ruptured anal gland and there was a wound about an inch in diameter right next to her anus. Not the same at all.

I agree with the above poster than feeding carrots is not something that would help with a cat's anal glands. Typically a bulky stool passing through the anus is what naturally expresses the anal glands. That's where fiber plays a part. More fiber, bulkier stool.

I don't honestly know what the issue is that is causing this discharge. If you want to wait the few days to see if it goes away, of course you can do that, or you can see if another Vet has other thoughts on the matter. Many times Vets don't agree with each other, thus the suggestion of seeing a different one.