Cat acne -- do you think this requires a vet visit?

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, I feel kind of stupid for posting this because I've dealt with cat acne with various cats over the years. With this particular cat, we've dealt with cat acne with her a bit over the years and she hasn't had any issues since I switched to stainless steel plates a few years ago. Usually doesn't get too bad and it's usually just the black flecks and not inflamed bumps. Historically, I've used a warm wet wash cloth and also the chlorhexidine wipes to clean it. As I said, our cats eat out of stainless steel bowls only now that are washed after every use and also ceramic water bowls. I let our old lady go outside in our last week of summer sun because she enjoys spending time in the backyard. Much to my delight (sarcasm) she also loves to roll in the dirt. She had done this several days in a row and I'd always do a quick wipe down when she got in with just a dry rag to brush the dirt off. Well, I noticed she started getting some kitty acne again, which I assume is from rolling around in the dirt. She's never quite gotten it this bad before though. One of the sides has mostly cleared up, but she has a pretty ugly red bump on the other side now. Do you think this requires a vet visit or should I just continue to clean it a couple times a day and see if it gets better?

Here is what it looked like two days ago after me cleaning it with a wet washcloth and then combing through it gently with a clean flea comb. You can see the red bump on the right that was starting to form.
1696021806255.png

It's looking very angry today though. I took these a few minutes ago.
1696022047584.png

1696022080909.png

What do you think? Vet visit asap or proceed a day or two more with daily cleaning and see how it looks then? I suspect they would probably just tell me to keep doing what I'm doing vs prescribing her an antibiotic or something. Do you have any additional thoughts or suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would carry on with the wipes for a few days. My cat gets acne now and again and I rub coconut oil into the area which seems to work. Can you get something like this which is great for a variety of issues.
https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/leucillin-antiseptic-skincare-first-aid-spray-(online-exclusive)
Thank you! I'll see what I can find and maybe dab a bit of coconut oil on it. Do you just put it on there to moisturize or are you using it to clean the area?

Edit: I just spoke with our vet as I sent them the photos as well. They turned her Solensia appointment for next Saturday into an appointment to take a look at this if it hasn't cleared up by then as well. I asked about coconut oil and they said that is also recommended to dab it on there between cleanings. I just tried to dab it on her chin and was somewhat successful. But she's already cranky about me poking and prodding her today! Thanks for the response!

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see a head on it. Try a warm face cloth on it, should open the pores and help it come to a head (white bump)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can wash it with Hibiclens and warm water. I've used this before with my kitty who was prone to chin acne. If the sore doesn't improve, then get to the vet.