Carpet biting cat

katocats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

one of our cats has developed a taste for our woollen carpet in the bedroom  she seems to favour the corner of the carpet at the door is there any way of stopping her doing this before it causes her harm.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there!

Can the carpet be removed? is it a small carpet that can be rolled up and tucked away?

If not, try covering the area with something where she can't get at it.

if that's not feesable, there's Apple Bitter Spray that cats do not like. spray it on the areas she's chewing on (test it on a small piece of carpet first to see if it does not stain). I also hear any citrus smelling spray works, but not for my kitties! Just make sure they are all cat safe!

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does she have scratching posts? Are any of them horizontal? Carpet scratchers tend to like horizontal scratching boards.

If it's not a scratching need, you can spray the area (not the cat) with one of the products Draco recommends. It could also be a boredom thing, if she's not getting enough attention or playtime regularly.

Another thing you can try is to get a piece of the carpet made from similar material, and let her chew on that (be sure to supervise!). It may or may not work, but sometimes a cat may decide chewing on "her toy" is more fun than being shooed away.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

katocats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello  Draco, Columbine and FhiCat  thank you for your replies I will try the citrus spray as I know she does not like orange peel