Caring for a feral...

Verbatim74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi people,
So we had a panic episode with my newly adopted cat yesterday. I was giving him medicines for the past few days for the deworming as recommended by my vet. Probably I gave a little higher dose than recommended yesterday and in the evening he was all drooling and had his mouth open all the time. I was suspecting rabies by reading poat of google (not smart since there is a lot of "uncategorised" information which can cause panic). I took him to the vet today and she said he is fine. It was just a response to the medication.
But she did recommend me that I wrap the cat in a blanket and then sit with him holding him since he was still pretty scared of me. Its been almost 10days now that I have him in my home and he has showed some signs of warming up to me but continues to hide most of the time. He never approaches and if the food bowl is empty he won't even meow to ask for food.
I want to try the blanket thing, to wrap him ip and hold him until he calms but I am not sure how to go about it. If I go close to him with a towel or something he just goes mad and hisses and tries to scratch.
Any suggestions? Anything to help me out with this would be great....

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
First off, congrats on your new baby! Thank you for taking him in!

I don't want to argue with your vet, but I don't like the blanket idea. Your cat is already scared and trying to navigate a new environment. Trying to basically capture and force him into affection, in my opinion, will not work, and will only scare him more and make him oppose you more.

I think your best bet is to let him adjust on his own. He was a feral before you, so the fact that he is now indoors is a huge adjustment. You also said that he was already warming up to you- that's a good sign, especially after only 10 days! Just keep the environment neutral and quiet, talk softly to him, and allow him to come around on his own time. Offer treats too.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree, the blanket idea not really a good one at all! There may be some helpful tips in this TCS article (see link below), in terms of what to do to help your new cat get used to his new home and you. The older the cat, the longer the process will likely take. This article also contains links to other articles that should be useful to you as well.
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles

When you get him settled a bit more, please share a pic and his name with us! Doesn't have to happen any time soon - when ever you think he and you are ready!!!

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I always say with new cats is that you meet them where they are at and start slowly getting them acclimated to their new environment and following the rules of living indoors. Give the kitty a room that is his own with a place to hide. He must feel safe and then in time he will come out of his shell. Cats also like places to perch, so in time when he gets more comfortable he needs a cat trees or shelves to climb.

Don't force anything on him. I also don't agree with your vet about this blanket idea. This cat sounds like a shy cat, so it is going to take more time for him to feel comfortable with you. When you enter his room you can sit down or kneel down (make yourself small to the cat so you look like less of a threat.) Play with the cat with a long feather wand. Talk softly and praise the cat. The power of play is one way to get a cat comfortable with you. You can use a laser pointer as well. In time you can try balls and other items. I have won cats over by doing this, as well as giving treats (work up his trust till he eats them out of your hand). All this will take time, but it does work.

In regards to the medicine, I had the same thing happen to my cat. Just be cautious about giving the meds. When your dealing with a stubborn cat who spits out their medicine, we tend to go in overdrive to make sure our kitties get medicine into them and this could end up being a problem.

Well, I wish you the best. Hopefully this kitty will start coming around soon. Hang in there.🙂

wewerecreatures

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
while I understand where people are coming from with their aversion to wrapping your cat, it worked wonders for my 8 week feral kitten. I just scruffed her, made her into a little purrito, and held her against my chest for half an hour while speaking to her and scratching her head. she instantly chilled out and has never tried to scratch me again. At less than a week in and she lets me pick her up at will without so much has a harsh look.