Can't watch embedded videos

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All I get is the box the forum uses, but no video.  Is there something I need to have I don't.  I am running XP SP3 with all updates, all flash updates, all Java updates,  and still no video.  Help!  I want to see the kitties moving.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It could be one of your Mozilla add-ons. Are you running No Script? If so, you could try allowing TCS (Options ---> Whitelist) or temporarily allowing whatever page you're trying to watch the video on.

Can you view them when using another browser, like Chrome?

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
There's definitely a problem embedding and viewing videos for those using Firefox 12.0 in combination with Windows Vista (and XP). That's been reported. Chrome is working okay.

It would be helpful if those who are having trouble and aren't using Firefox 12.0 with Windows Vista post 1) which browser they're using with 2) which system.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's definitely a problem embedding and viewing videos for those using Firefox 12.0 in combination with Windows Vista (and XP). That's been reported. Chrome is working okay.
It would be helpful if those who are having trouble and aren't using Firefox 12.0 with Windows Vista post 1) which browser they're using with 2) which system.
I am using Firefox 13 on Windows XP SP3 on a HP Pavilion with an Intel Celeron 1.2 GHz processer with 512 MB of RAM.  There is no option for increasing my RAM or processor speed.  I

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It seems to be a browser problem, i.e., you can't view or embed videos while using Firefox. It's not a problem with Chrome, Opera or Safari. There was an update on Thursday, and the problem seems to have arisen then. We'll probably have to wait till tomorrow for the tech people to check it out.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Okay, I think this will work: Huddler said to update to Firefox 13.01, which I did, but then I couldn't watch videos at the YouTube site, either, which had worked before. I've just tried uninstalling Real Player, and now the videos are working here and at You Tube.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Now why did it work for me and not for you? The only other things I can think of is that I'd updated QuickTimePlayer before uninstalling RealPlayer (which had already been disabled by Mozilla), and made sure Java was up to date, with no older versions on my computer.

As you can see, this is all trial and error. I've got a German version of Windows Vista, but I'm mainly using English software, so I don't think it would make a difference. Have you tried it with all your FF add-ons disabled? That didn't make any difference for me, but maybe it would for you. It's under Help -->Restart With Add-ons Disabled.

Last edited:

SJSupport

I am that tech you're looking for
Young Cat
Purraise
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Testing posting and viewing video in FF13.

Last edited:

SJSupport

I am that tech you're looking for
Young Cat
Purraise
On stock (NO plugins) FF13, YouTube videos seem to work fine. What tracker software are you referencing? With plugins disabled, nothing should be launching at all.

I was able to verify a problem on FF12 yesterday, but I don't get it in 13. I am assuming that in this case there is a plugin issue with the browser. jcat might be correct in the link posted; try that.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All the tracker software that is running on the site - Crowd Science, quantcast, viglink and 4others

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still using Firefox 4.0.1. No problems.   I don't update my browser when the new versions come out. I prefer to wait until all of the kinks have been worked out so I'm usually a few versions behind.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Adobe has now released Flash Player 11.3.300.262, which has supposedly fixed the problem with Firefox. I've downloaded it (for some reason I didn't get an automatic update), and it seems to be working with Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari. Time will tell.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Downloaded and updated last week.  No change.  This computer just doesn't like to run videos...except AVI and 3gp.  Have been trying to put fedora on my alley computer, but it won't load.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Is it the same with another browser? I use Chrome as my fast, stripped-down one whenever Firefox seems a bit sluggish.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, downloaded and installed Chrome.  I can see the videos now.  In fact, I can watch live webcams that I haven't been able to see for months.  My only question is how many trackers are open and tracking me to send me junk e-mails.  In firefox, I use Ghostery to disable them.