Can't Handle Chronically Ill Cat

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Weruva has a canned food that's like pudding. My vet showed me a trick once that I was never able to accomplish with my shaky hands. Smash the pill,put it on a piece of very thin paper. Fill a syringe with a tiny bit of water. Squirt it on the paper. Mix with the syringe and slurp it up. Finally lift her lip and put it on her tooth. Don't forget to give her a treat afterwards so she will always expect. Another option is take her to the vet and have one of the assistants do it. They should,hopefully,be trained.do it after you wake her up from a nap

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Binkie's chronic yeast infection she's had in her ears
Wait to see if she needs anti-fungal medication for ring worm
There are other infections that mimic ringworm - one of which is a yeast infection which you mentioned. But, I believe they are from different sources of fungi. One will NOT cause the other (but, Binkie could have both, I guess). I also believe that ear wax is a potential symptom of a yeast infection, but I swear I have never seen it be part of ringworm.

So, has Binkie's yeast infection been confirmed and the vet thinks he has ringworm in addition??

I will tell you that the odds of an indoor only cat having ringworm is fairly rare. Either you would have had to bring it in from outside sources, or a previous cat of yours - or one that lived in your home before you moved there - had it, and the environment was never thoroughly disinfected. I have heard ringworm fungus, if not completely killed, can live/spread as long as up to a year.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hang on. I think there is a place on TCS where you can write to appeal for help a couple of times a year if the financial strain is too much. I suggest you as a moderator. Have you considered setting up a gofundme account to try and get financial help? I know you are exhausted and burned out but you could be getting all the pieces of this puzzle put together now and once she is on a healthy regime everything could level back out. I know the pressure of struggling to help a beloved baby. I am so sorry this has been such a tough time for you all.:alright: I am sending you all the good feelings, wishes and hope that I can possible send. My heart is with you. Sometimes, just when we are ,”at wit’s end,” the clouds part and something happens to change things. We are all hoping that happens for you all.
:vibes::redheartpump::sunshine::heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muffinz55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hang on. I think there is a place on TCS where you can write to appeal for help a couple of times a year if the financial strain is too much. I suggest you as a moderator. Have you considered setting up a gofundme account to try and get financial help? I know you are exhausted and burned out but you could be getting all the pieces of this puzzle put together now and once she is on a healthy regime everything could level back out. I know the pressure of struggling to help a beloved baby. I am so sorry this has been such a tough time for you all.:alright: I am sending you all the good feelings, wishes and hope that I can possible send. My heart is with you. Sometimes, just when we are ,”at wit’s end,” the clouds part and something happens to change things. We are all hoping that happens for you all.
:vibes::redheartpump::sunshine::heartshape:
Thank you, I have been submitting questions about applying for financial aid/funding to a few places that were provided via the links in my last post. So far it is hard to find places that cover dental care. That is the big one she would need.

muffinz55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are other infections that mimic ringworm - one of which is a yeast infection which you mentioned. But, I believe they are from different sources of fungi. One will NOT cause the other (but, Binkie could have both, I guess). I also believe that ear wax is a potential symptom of a yeast infection, but I swear I have never seen it be part of ringworm.

So, has Binkie's yeast infection been confirmed and the vet thinks he has ringworm in addition??

I will tell you that the odds of an indoor only cat having ringworm is fairly rare. Either you would have had to bring it in from outside sources, or a previous cat of yours - or one that lived in your home before you moved there - had it, and the environment was never thoroughly disinfected. I have heard ringworm fungus, if not completely killed, can live/spread as long as up to a year.
The vet took samples from the ears and we awaiting results to see if it is still yeast, other fungus, bacteria, etc. The yeast was confirmed a while ago (2 months ago, same time as around her dental surgery) before I started ear treatment/cleanings with anti fungal solution once a week.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I think Jcatbird Jcatbird is referring to something specific to this site. Below are the moderators for The Cat Site.
If you look above this page to the upper right, where you see your name, to the right of that is Inbox, there is where you can start new conversations. On your phone, look for your avatar picture just below the Connect With Us (that's how it's formatted on mine anyway), and you'll see a little envelope.

Moderators -

AbbysMom
betsygee
GoldyCat
jcat
mani
MoochNNoodles
mservant
Norachan

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Furballsmom Furballsmom That is exactly what I meant.

I am wondering if there is a yeast or fungal imbalance in her mouth. Like Thrush. That could explain some things if it were missed and untreated. If it is systemic it could be causing many of her issues. Are they testing her whole system for it or just ears? It could affect fur and digestion so maybe worth asking the vet about it while you are there. Maybe there is really only one problem that, if solved could solve every issue.

muffinz55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Latest update: Still waiting for lab results regarding hair loss.

The Zlykene seems to be making a difference (slight at best) just 2 doses later (225 mg per day, according to my vet) so I am hopeful that with more time the calming effect becomes more pronounced, as others have said it does. Last night Binkie came out in the midst of 6 people and walked around the Christmas tree, which was unexpected and nice!

muffinz55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet emailed the results of Binkie's PCR test and she does NOT have ringworm or fungal growth. Yay! But could it be parasite or bacteria? She is on Revolution. I plan to call the vet and ask over the phone.

I know it may be food allergies or stress. I already know she is prone to food issues because turkey goes right through her. I also gave her a different food a day or so before the hair loss on the ears and over the eyes happened. I do not believe the hair loss is getting worse, in fact I THINK one patch is growing back.

The vet had mentioned maybe needing hydrolyzed cat food which I am open to trying. But due to the Zylkene I mix in the wet food, I need a WET hydrolyzed cat food - what do you all suggest? Right now she is on her usual tiki cat mousse (only 2 options for her - chicken or chicken w/ egg) and I THINK she tolerates this well.

She needs more dental work, but until then I also mix Vetriscience Perio Support in her food - what do you all think of this? Are there other better products to maintain dental health? My vet also suggested breathalyser water additive but I can only find it available to buy in large jugs. She also doesn't drink plain water so a water additive isn't really practical.

Do you suggest that since she has food sensitivity issues, I should give an immune support or probiotic supplement? And if so which one? I have used Pet ultimate probiotic for cats before, but also have Dr Formulas Nexabiotic.

I am also hopeful that the Zylkene will continue to take effect, as it's only been 3 days but I already notice some difference at times. She is on 225 mg per day. Has anyone given more than this to a cat? I will ask my vet. Do you think it just needs more time?

AS OF NOW: I am NOT surrendering Binkie!!! I will also be applying to the email thread option I received regarding requesting assistance for the 2 other issues Binkie needs but that I cannot afford at this time: the remainder of her teeth extracted and a sedated ear wax removal. I would want both done at the same sedated appointment - would that be a hospital that can also do dental work?

I am so happy right now, and I hope the good trend continues!!! :-)

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is good news indeed. Continue to take things slowly one issue at a time. Of course you aren't surrendering Binkie, you're going into this fight together and you'll come out together.

Once the dental work is done, may other things may improve. I had a cat who lost all her teeth at 17. She had one remaining fang and a drippy eye and weird breathing. The vet wouldn't remove it. She sneezed it out. She took a nap. When she work up she was bouncer than she'd been in a couple of years and had no trouble eating for the rest of her life. Two years. Cat dentistry has come a long way since then.

I wish I could tell you more but I don't have any experience with the other things you mention.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There should be clinics that can handle both her ears and dental.

I don't have any experience with the Zylkene but I was reading that it can take several days...

I think your food choice is great as long as she's tolerating it. Here's this post.
Young Again Lid Zero Mature (hydrolyzed Pork) Vs Royal Canin Hp (hydrolyzed Soy)
You could utilize catfooddb for hydrolyzed food research, in case one protein doesn't work for her then you'd have information about others, and FeebysOwner FeebysOwner posted this Best Hypoallergenic Cat Food 2019

I like Vetriscience products, hopefully it helps Binkie in the interim, and I think either of those probiotics would be worth a try. Some people have mentioned that probiotics that are yeast-based can cause issues so I wanted to mention that. :vibes::crossfingers:

Last edited:

palikakitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I may get blasted for this but please don’t take her to a shelter. If the time comes have her humanely euthanized. You have done more than many people would or could. We just went through this with my sons cat. Rescue, 3 years old, started getting sick in September, diahhrea, vomiting, hair loss, lethargy at times.Treated for IBD, worms, gastritis. Specialty vet found a mass in her colon, $5000 for surgery, euthanized on the table, “her entire colon is filled with cancer”. Autopsy revealed FIP. Heartbreaking for them but they were with her til the end. I’m not saying don’t keep trying but if you can’t do it anymore, do what’s best for her.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
-If she needs hypoallergenic food, which is only DRY per the vet, and she has teeth issues, how can she eat it? And if the Zylkene (if it even works) goes in her food, how the heck does it go into DRY food? She doesn't drink much water at all since I've always given wet food (Tiki cat mousse, NO turkey due to diarrhea from any turkey based food).
No worries, they can still eat dry with no teeth. Most cats barely chew kibble anyways. But it is of course good to offer both. Especially since you said she doesnt drink water. I would pick up a good metal pet fountain to try to encourage more water intake. Also adding water to canned cat food helps too. Dehydration will cause urinary and organ issues .

The vet had mentioned maybe needing hydrolyzed cat food which I am open to trying. But due to the Zylkene I mix in the wet food, I need a WET hydrolyzed cat food - what do you all suggest? Right now she is on her usual tiki cat mousse (only 2 options for her - chicken or chicken w/ egg) and I THINK she tolerates this well.
Royal Canin makes one. Selected Protein canned food. My cat was on it with IBD/GI Lymphoma. In fact, where do you live? I have a whole case just sitting here...

She needs more dental work, but until then I also mix Vetriscience Perio Support in her food - what do you all think of this? Are there other better products to maintain dental health? My vet also suggested breathalyser water additive but I can only find it available to buy in large jugs. She also doesn't drink plain water so a water additive isn't really practical.
I never found those to be much help. I would think when the cat is young it might be good to keep dental issues at bay. But your cat has had most teeth removed. It might help prolong infection until you can get those remaining teeth removed. That is kind of unfortunate that the vet didn't just remove them all. They may have been trying to keep the price as low as they could since it was already so huge and finances were stretched.

I am also hopeful that the Zylkene will continue to take effect, as it's only been 3 days but I already notice some difference at times. She is on 225 mg per day. Has anyone given more than this to a cat? I will ask my vet. Do you think it just needs more time?
Give it time. Those take awhile. I believe you start it and after awhile you might have to tweek the dose if it isn't working. I am sure they start at a lower dose. But that is all per your vet. I wouldn't mess with those on your own.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She shouldn't have a problem with dry food. I wasn't feeding dry when I had my 17 year old mentioned above. However, I had to get SG an x-ray last year. Apparently, she'd finished breakfast right before we left. The x-ray included her stomach which was filled with dry food. You could see the little pointed shapes. They looked the same in her as they did in the bowl.