Young Again Lid Zero Mature (hydrolyzed Pork) Vs Royal Canin Hp (hydrolyzed Soy)

jessica smith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of the cats diagnosed w/ IBD. He was, reasonably successfully, prescribed a shot of steroids and "Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Feline Hydrolyzed Protein Adult HP Dry Cat Food".

Its $60 for 7lbs, but so far the only thing that was successful after trying rabbit, beef, fish, duck protein sources oddly. Within eating about 5lbs of the food, he has already put on nearly a pound of weight (was way too skinny), and his heavy shedding has ceased and is no longer making tiny mucousy brownies that stink up the place.

Well, if all is hunky-dory, why change? A friend was outraged that I'm turning my cat into a "soy boy", heh, and informed me that if a hydrolyzed protein is necessary, why not provide hydrolyzed pork instead, and I won't have to march over to the vet each time for overpriced bags of food and the boy doesn't REALLY like the food all that much (he eats it, spitting out little pieces and always leaving a couple kibbles in his bowl, vs before he would wolf anything you gave him... but then again he might just be full since he's digesting this properly now).

LID ZERO Mature Health

LID ZERO Mature Health Formula

Young Again LID ZERO Mature Cat Food is our Pork based, Limited Ingredient formula that uses only one protein source and has been specifically designed for cats with allergies to chicken and other protein sources. Works well for cats with constipation, IBS/IBD and other bowel issues. NEW UNIQUE FLAVOR!
Hydrolyzed Pork, Chicken Fat, Hydrolyzed Yeast Flavoring, Guar Gum,DL Methionine, L-Lysine, Fish Oil, Psyllium Husk(source of fiber), Potassium Citrate, Brewers Yeast, Potassium Carbonate, Calcium Carbonate, Fructooligosaccharides (FOS), Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Tryptophan, L-ascorbyl-2polyphosphate (source of stabilized vitamin C), Betaine Anhydrous, Magnesium Sulfate, Salt, L-Carnitine, Biotin (vitamin B7), Zinc Sulfate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Rosemary Extract, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacinamide (vitamin B3), Thiamine Mononitrate (vitamin B1), Copper Proteinate, Folic Acid (vitamin B9), Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin (vitamin B2), Calcium Pantothenate (vitamin B5), Sodium Selenite, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dehydrated Pediococcus Acidilactici Fermentation Product, Beta Carotene, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Cobalt Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid (Preservatives).
Don't mess with success, or any first hand positive experience to recommend switching to something that is at least meat based?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessica smith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also noticed that they insist on free-feeding this food:

The best way and the only way we recommend feeding our Young Again Cat Foods is free-choice feeding.

RULES

You need at least one bowl of food for every cat in the house. The bowl must be 8-10 inches across and about 1 inch deep. A standard 9 inch pie plate you can buy anywhere is perfect. Do not use those cute, little 4 inch cat dishes they sell everywhere. Water can be in any size bowl you want but we recommend bigger the better.

You must put 2 full 8oz cups of food in each bowl. The bowl must never be allowed to be less than half full at any given time; never. If you have to fill the bowl more than every 3 days then you need more food in the bowl.

Each bowl must be placed around the house so that when a cat is standing at any one bowl they will not be able to see any other cat, at any of the other bowls. Place bowls in different rooms and floors for best results.

That’s it. Follow these simple rules and you will have a happy, healthy feline household.

We know this is a different way to feed your cat, but when feeding Young Again Cat Food, it is the best way. Please read our paper on obesity/overeating in cats.

Before and during use, please close bag securely and shake to evenly distribute the external flavoring, probiotics and enzymes that settled during shipping.
It would make it MUCH easier (and cheaper for me) to use this technique if it didn't result in obesikitties for when we're out and have a pet sitter that would probably only need to come once a day.

jessica smith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I can't figure out how in the heck to just edit my first post, so have to make another. Found this website that really breaks down the food differences:

Young Again LID Zero Mature Health Cat Food Review

vs

Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Feline Hydrolyzed Protein Adult HP Cat Food Review

One thing is for sure, whoever owns that website really hates the Royal Canin stuff, hah! Don't know how reliable it is though, since my cat is quite healthy (so far) eating it, and in fact had a bag once long ago without issue too. Never stuck with it long term though.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not a fan of royal canin either. They tend to be overpriced and gimmicky in some of their foods. Plus the soy really isn't the best for pets, IMO. But that specific site is fairly non biased, their analysis of Royal Canin is what it is because the food isn't a great option.

Don't get me wrong, some cats do well on it. But the Young Again really is the more biologically appropriate food and a good choice for IBD kitties who struggle on anything else.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet suggested I try the Royal Canin Multicare for my cat's urinary/intolerance issues, but I declined after reading the ingredients - the food is practically vegetarian. If I had to choose between prescription hydrolized protein diets, I would probably choose the Hills Z/D over Royal Canin. The Z/D is at least chicken rather than soy-based. Royal Canin is cheaper than Hills, but the ingredients are also noticeably worse.

From what I have read pork is supposed to be harder for cats to digest, which is why so much cat food is chicken rather than pork-based. That being said, I would think that it is at least better than soy.

At the end of the day my advice is YOU do what works for YOUR cat. Your friend is not a vet, nor are most of the people on this board, and you are dealing with a medical issue that needs to be tailored to your cat's specific needs. There are other hydrolized diets available that are better quality than Royal Canin. If only to give yourself more options in the future, it might be worth it to try them out and see if your cat does well on them.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not a fan of prescription food either :headshake:

One of my cats has IBD. I feed him the same food he's been eating since he was weaned, Nature's Variety frozen raw. I only feed him the rabbit one now since he has an intolerance to chicken. It's what works for him and the vet said to not change anything.

If your cat is doing well on the Royal Cabin even with the less than ideal ingredients, then just feed that. You could try to change to a better quality diet it do it slowly and watch for any flare ups.

Novel protein limited ingredient diets seem to work well for many IBD cats. Canned is preferred over dry. There's info on diet options here:

IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time
Raw Feeding for IBD Cats

It's best to keep the vet in the loop on diet changes, poop habits, etc for your cat. Some vets don't like clients feeding a non-profit prescription food but that doesn't mean you can't feed what you want.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I have read pork is supposed to be harder for cats to digest, which is why so much cat food is chicken rather than pork-based. That being said, I would think that it is at least better than soy.

At the end of the day my advice is YOU do what works for YOUR cat. Your friend is not a vet, nor are most of the people on this board, and you are dealing with a medical issue that needs to be tailored to your cat's specific needs. There are other hydrolized diets available that are better quality than Royal Canin. If only to give yourself more options in the future, it might be worth it to try them out and see if your cat does well on them.
Our cats love pork and do very well on it -- it's become a large part of their diet, both in freeze-dried Primal and homemade food with the EZ Complete supplement. They have quirky digestive systems (one can't eat potato, the other seems to go through little cycles of low-grade nausea, etc.) but pork really agrees with them. Thank goodness for pork, really, since it's affordable and our pickier cat especially enjoys it! The EZ Complete people are also enthusiastic about pork, though I'm sure it doesn't work for every cat.

All that said, feeding cats really is an individual thing and what Wile Wile writes (that I bolded) is a really important reminder!

jessica smith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For anyone googling, fast forward half a decade, and results are:
1) We bought a whole bag of the LID hydrolyzed pork, tried very slow transition, but horrible bowl issues returned.
2) We tried a few other diet options, but even with slow transitions first only 10%, then 20%, etc over a period of weeks, all showed progressively worsening results.
3) Ultimately, we stuck with the "Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Feline Hydrolyzed Protein Adult HP Dry Cat Food" one, and both cats eat it even though only one can needs it (was just easier logistics wise and to keep them from fighting each other to sample what the other one has).

Cat is very healthy, in spite of now being almost 14 years old, lots of energy, perfect poops, and is actually ravenous about eating the food unlike my initial post because he kept gaining weight because I was giving so much I don't think he was even all that hungry at mealtimes. While at first the weight gain was very much welcome because he was quite underweight from his health issues, I ultimately had to slowly cut back to now where he wolfs it down but is at a stable 12.5lbs.

Also happy to say that for years and years now, forget how long, he has needed no other supplements or shots or anything, we removed all of that as it seemed to make no difference.

The downside is that if you thought it was overpriced BEFORE the pandemic, its hyperinflation time now where its $140 a bag of just under 18lbs. But the savings in no vet visits and health compensate, so I deal with the super expensive weirdo food.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I personaly don't like the fact the food is practicaly vegan except the chicken fat spray. Cats are obligate carnivores and need meat. I hagotten a bag of the hydrogenized urinary so during the pandemic but Kabuto wouldn't even touch it. I was shocked to discover no meat in it. No wonder my boy who normaly eats like a lab refused to eat it.

I just gave him some of Indys food until i was able to get the meat one.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For anyone googling, fast forward half a decade, and results are:
1) We bought a whole bag of the LID hydrolyzed pork, tried very slow transition, but horrible bowl issues returned.
2) We tried a few other diet options, but even with slow transitions first only 10%, then 20%, etc over a period of weeks, all showed progressively worsening results.
3) Ultimately, we stuck with the "Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Feline Hydrolyzed Protein Adult HP Dry Cat Food" one, and both cats eat it even though only one can needs it (was just easier logistics wise and to keep them from fighting each other to sample what the other one has).

Cat is very healthy, in spite of now being almost 14 years old, lots of energy, perfect poops, and is actually ravenous about eating the food unlike my initial post because he kept gaining weight because I was giving so much I don't think he was even all that hungry at mealtimes. While at first the weight gain was very much welcome because he was quite underweight from his health issues, I ultimately had to slowly cut back to now where he wolfs it down but is at a stable 12.5lbs.

Also happy to say that for years and years now, forget how long, he has needed no other supplements or shots or anything, we removed all of that as it seemed to make no difference.

The downside is that if you thought it was overpriced BEFORE the pandemic, its hyperinflation time now where its $140 a bag of just under 18lbs. But the savings in no vet visits and health compensate, so I deal with the super expensive weirdo food.
This makes me happy to hear as I have a boy eating this food because of food sensivities. Glad yours has done so well on it!

jessica smith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personaly don't like the fact the food is practicaly vegan except the chicken fat spray. Cats are obligate carnivores and need meat. I hagotten a bag of the hydrogenized urinary so during the pandemic but Kabuto wouldn't even touch it. I was shocked to discover no meat in it. No wonder my boy who normaly eats like a lab refused to eat it.

I just gave him some of Indys food until i was able to get the meat one.
Yeah, I don't quite understand the science behind it, as going by ingredients it seems like garbage tier. It was so exhausting though going through so many different novel protein choices with no success, even the hydrolyzed pork one didn't work which didn't make sense because supposedly once a protein is hydrolyzed the body shouldn't be able to have an allergic reaction anymore. Tried al lthe Blue Buffalo basics ones for example, and overall the proteins we tried, including commercial raw (never did self-made): rabbit, beef, pork, chicken, duck, turkey, the fish one I don't think it said what kind of fish just said "fish". All were sensitive tummy or limited ingredient branded types, but sadly they didn't work which is not fun because those were MUCH cheaper!

I forgot to add we had also tried pumpkin both organic baby food style and a powder from amazon as a fiber supplement, but it didn't help. The vets did offer biopsies and the like, but it would have been very expensive so we declined and just stuck with the food that worked, and we realized over time that not only did it work but all the expensive B12 and steroid injections he was getting were no longer required on that food.

In theory, you would think its lacking amino acids because they can't all be in just soy, but I'm not sure how they do it but guessing they add them in with some other sources (maybe the fish oil adds in the missing stuff)? It does work though surprisingly, and even his coat is nice and shiny because back when he had allergies when you would pet him it felt very dry and your hand would be covered in fur as he shed like crazy.
Capture.PNG