Can't get kittens to eliminate

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When you feed the canned food, make it a bit soupy with some water, but not enough to eliminate the smell of the food. The extra water will help push the food through the system. Also heat the food a tiny bit in the microwave and that will help as well.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by YaYas_Mom

At what age do you do this? I need to switch Chloe off of clumping litter as soon as the babies are remotely close to using the litterbox. (Or can I leave Chloe's box along since the babies can't climb into it and give them their own small/low box?)
3 to 4 weeks is a good time - whenever you begin to introduce the kittens to canned food.

I wouldn't leave the clumping litter around even if you don't think the babies can get to it. Babies have a way of getting to things you never dreamed they would get to *smile* Can Chloe use regular litter (or whatever the same litter that the kittens will be using) for a while until the babies get the hang of it?

~gf~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They finally went on their own in Char's box this morning.
They wanted the other litter. I also found them sleeping in the litterbox I had with them, in their nest box, which was probably another reason why they weren't using the one I had in there.

How do you burp them? I have been rubbing thier sides after they eat, but I don't know how to burp them.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Put a kitten on your shoulder belly down. Take your index finger and gently pat him till he burps. It's the cutest sound when they do that, and then they just kind of sigh and lay their head on your shoulder like "thanks mom!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it bad if they don't burp? I can't seem to get them to.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're having a bad time of it aren't you?
If they aren't burping then hopefully they are not swallowing air when they feed.