Can't get kittens to eliminate

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
at all. They haven't gone potty since yesterday afternoon. I tried rubbing their abdomen and behind with a warm cotton ball but it isn't working. It only upset them. Please help!

How do I get them to go potty??

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Char-

First of all calm down. Because if you are stressed, as little as they are, they will pick up on it. What are you feeding them?

BTW I am moving your post to our new forum where it applies-

If you are feeding formula, try diluting it with a little bit more water, or add some canned pumpkin to the formula for a little bit of added fiber, though not much- generally just the juice from the can is enough to stimulate them along.

Gently rub their belly and their rectum in circles, don't go to long and don't be to hard with it. You can also try running a trickle of warm water in the sink, and sticking their rump into the stream of warm water that sometimes stimulates them along with the rubbing. Make sure you are burping them as well and rub their bellies before you feed as well as after-

Are they peeing?

cirque

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The way I have seen it.. momma cat licks their bottoms.. I never noticed if the kittens like that or not so I can't comment about that part, but generally the same tactic should work.. um no don't lick them, slightly damn/warm cotton ball does sound right though or perhaps a light touch with a fingertip? Ick. Good luck.. I guess I don't want a kitten as much as I thought.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also if the cotton ball turns a dark yellow, the kitties need more water in their formula. They can dehydrate pretty quickly at that age-

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Char-

First of all calm down. Because if you are stressed, as little as they are, they will pick up on it. What are you feeding them?

BTW I am moving your post to our new forum where it applies-

If you are feeding formula, try diluting it with a little bit more water, or add some canned pumpkin to the formula for a little bit of added fiber, though not much- generally just the juice from the can is enough to stimulate them along.

Gently rub their belly and their rectum in circles, don't go to long and don't be to hard with it. You can also try running a trickle of warm water in the sink, and sticking their rump into the stream of warm water that sometimes stimulates them along with the rubbing. Make sure you are burping them as well and rub their bellies before you feed as well as after-

Are they peeing?
I just find it strange they haven't had to go since yesterday. They peed yesterday afternoon and haven't gone since. The one boy has been eating canned food and the girl started eating canned food today. They also have had that kitten glop recipe. And water.

If you stick their rump in the water, do you just rub the belly since the water should stimulate the behind? I tried this with the girl and she panicked on me. So I gave up after a few minutes. I also tried the warm cotton ball on their behinds to stimulate them and nothing has come out. I wonder if they are dehydrated.

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take this with a grain of salt. We had a dachshund thathad a displaced disk, and couldn't go on his own, and was cath'd several times after the surgery and having him try to go naturlly. for the first week we had him back we had to fill the tub with tepid water and massage his sides right by his hind legs for a few minutes before taking him outside to go. It worked!.. but then, dogs generally don't try to crawl up the shower curtain when you get them wet.

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am willing to try anything at this point so long as they go.

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cirque

Maybe they can't go with someone watching? *grin*
LOL I wish that was the case cause I would be glad to leave them to their business, as long as they do their business.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old are they? If they are eating on their own, they shouldn't need stimulation.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best way I have found to accomplish this is:

Gather up two terry cloth wash squares and a thick terry cloth towel folded to twice it's thickness. It helps if you can warm the towel in the dryer for a few minutes first. Put the towel over your lap.

Run warm water into the sink and keep it running allowing it to drain.

Go into the bathroom with ONE kitten at a time and close the door behind you to keep out noises, drafts and other scary monsters. *grin*

Thoroughly wet the cloth and wring it out so that the heat and moisture stays but not the dripping water.

Put the kitten on the thick, warmed towel on your lap so kitten is upright with the rear end facing you.

Coo and trill to the kitten or speak in a baby-talk sort of tone while gently rubbing the anus in an upwards motion (towards the tail only - there is an important reason for this)

Give it a few minutes but don't stop stimulating. You normally do not need to rub the belly or sides.

It may take the babies a while to get used to this but they will relax and they will eliminate.

When they begin to eliminate, make absolutely certain to keep up the stimulation until you no longer see waste exiting the body. You will have to use different sections of the cloth to avoid rubbing any urine or feces back onto the body or if the kitten is a girl, into the vagina. Always use upward (towards the tail) motion.

Once they are done, place the thick towel on the floor and thoroughly rinse the wash cloth removing all waste material - get the second wash cloth and wet it with the warm water then wring it out. Get the kitten back on your lap and clean it up well before replacing it back with the other kittens.

Rinse and repeat. *grin*

This should do it but you have to be patient with each kitten. You may find that the kitten will prefer another position or in some other way let you know how to help him or her. Observe carefully and make a note of exactly what you do to each kitten to assist them to eliminate for you. It might even be helpful to write it down so you can remember to do exactly that the next time it is required.

Hope this helps,

~gf~

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Gayef.

I have introduced them to litter. They went in the box yesterday but not since. I am using one like feline pine.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The pellet type of litter is great, but for kittens learning I prefer plain, unscented clay material. The smaller granules stimulate their burying and covering instinct and it is much easier to get them acclimated to using the litter pan when they like what they feel on their paws. Even clean potting soil is a good teaching aid. Try a smaller pellet or clay granules (not clumping) and see how they do. Sorry to be so long winded with the stimulation reply but I was posting while you all were and wasn't up to date on all the info.

~gf~

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah ok. Thank you for the response though. It was very helpful and not something I would have thought to do.

yayas_mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

Have you introduced them to litter yet?
At what age do you do this? I need to switch Chloe off of clumping litter as soon as the babies are remotely close to using the litterbox. (Or can I leave Chloe's box along since the babies can't climb into it and give them their own small/low box?)