Cancer and constipation

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm... now I'm considering this rabbit too lol. I got two cans today. I'm scared to switch the little guy because he's been eating the Sheba food so well. But it's chicken and tuna. I was told not to do seafood, then not to do poultry, and then not to do beef. I'm getting so confused on what he should be eating. I just wanted him to keep an appetite. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to give him a little taste of the rabbit just to see if he even likes it?

soubida

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm... now I'm considering this rabbit too lol. I got two cans today. I'm scared to switch the little guy because he's been eating the Sheba food so well. But it's chicken and tuna. I was told not to do seafood, then not to do poultry, and then not to do beef. I'm getting so confused on what he should be eating. I just wanted him to keep an appetite. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to give him a little taste of the rabbit just to see if he even likes it?
it takes time to switch! if your cat is fixed on chicken it might not be easy... tbh chicken and tuna are both big no nos for cats. chicken is a very very very common allergen.. and tuna, being a top predator of the sea, is very very very high in various toxins

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The main risk my vet said with pred long term is diabetes. I keep urine test strips at home to monitor his sugar if I notice he is drinking A LOT and peeing ALOT. You can get them on amazon. I usually catch him in the box but there are also those clear plastic litter kits to get a clean sample. Sometimes it's the pred that makes him thirsty, so it's nice to have the tests on hand and save a trip to the vert every other week. Wet food is def preferred for a cat on prednisolone. Since my cat likes to nibble on dry, I just leave out the glycobalance prescription during the day for some extra calories, but he really holds out for the wet food.

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh my goooosh. I will see if he likes it. Is chicken worse than beef? and is duck better?

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
it takes time to switch! if your cat is fixed on chicken it might not be easy... tbh chicken and tuna are both big no nos for cats. chicken is a very very very common allergen.. and tuna, being a top predator of the sea, is very very very high in various toxins
Well crap. This Rabbit food has deboned chicken in it. what.

soubida

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh my goooosh. I will see if he likes it. Is chicken worse than beef? and is duck better?
beef is worse (imo) because it's a "warm" food... i do like to rotate it during the cooler months for my cat though, because it keeps her warmer. my cat is very allergic to chicken (i gave her some to try and she literally bit her tummy open from itching..) duck is a good low allergen protein (for us) but the dermatologist told me to avoid it if chicken is a problem... but we've been on it for almost a year now with no problems! (for reference my cat gets 4 meals a day, 1 turkey, 1 duck, 2x rabbit, all dehydrated raw food rehydrated)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd avoid all chicken at the very least. You may want to avoid or just limit other poultry until you know for certain that they're not causing a reaction. Seafood is ok as an occasional meal. Beef is fine, IMO. You can offer the rabbit canned food to see if your cat likes it or not. Some cats refuse a new protein at first but eventally decide to try it.

The main risk my vet said with pred long term is diabetes.
My IBD cat developed diabetes-like symptoms when he was on pred for a few months. I monitored his blood glucose levels and kept the vet up to date. Once my cat was off pred, the symptoms went away.

What brand is it? Have you used this chart to find chicken-free food?

soubida

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes when switching proteins for allergic kitties you need to be sure to check the ingredients! my cat liked the limited ingredient rabbit from nature's variety instinct kibble before we were able to switch her over to dehydrated raw, it kept her allergies at bay, but made her poop REALLY stinky.. like everyone evacuated the room for an hour kind of stinky

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
beef is worse (imo) because it's a "warm" food... i do like to rotate it during the cooler months for my cat though, because it keeps her warmer. my cat is very allergic to chicken (i gave her some to try and she literally bit her tummy open from itching..) duck is a good low allergen protein (for us) but the dermatologist told me to avoid it if chicken is a problem... but we've been on it for almost a year now with no problems! (for reference my cat gets 4 meals a day, 1 turkey, 1 duck, 2x rabbit, all dehydrated raw food rehydrated)
Oooh, so turkey is okay? Interesting. My cat doesn't seem...itchy. Just puky. But alas, it could be the cancer.

soubida

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oooh, so turkey is okay? Interesting. My cat doesn't seem...itchy. Just puky. But alas, it could be the cancer.
turkey is ok for *my* cat, would depend on what the allergens are for *your* cat, best to stick to one protein for a while and test by elimination

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
turkey is ok for *my* cat, would depend on what the allergens are for *your* cat, best to stick to one protein for a while and test by elimination
Sure, of course every cat is different. that makes sense. He seems to be better on the Chicken and Tuna than he was with Salmon, and Whitefish pates even though he loved them. I'm actually wondering if my other cat is allergic to chicken now because he over grooms.

soubida

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sure, of course every cat is different. that makes sense. He seems to be better on the Chicken and Tuna than he was with Salmon, and Whitefish pates even though he loved them. I'm actually wondering if my other cat is allergic to chicken now because he over grooms.
yes over grooming was our main symptom... she had bald patches when we first got her from the spca, and they just told us "it's from a grain allergy, it won't grow back" but as the summer progressed she got less and less hair.. became constipated/decreased in appetite/threw up hairballs... the vet just said she was "stressed" from being in a new home lol. we pushed for a dermatologist referral and shes all better now after the dermatology treatment... expensive af tho😂

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yes over grooming was our main symptom... she had bald patches when we first got her from the spca, and they just told us "it's from a grain allergy, it won't grow back" but as the summer progressed she got less and less hair.. became constipated/decreased in appetite/threw up hairballs... the vet just said she was "stressed" from being in a new home lol. we pushed for a dermatologist referral and shes all better now after the dermatology treatment... expensive af tho😂
aww yeeeah. I may try both my guys on rabbit then. I just ran tot he store to exchange this rabbit for instinct brand. It does have pork liver but no chicken. Would this be an okay place to start transition you think? Haha sorry so many questions

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update! Miralax and Benefiber have been working well. His stools are somewhat back to normal, his appetite is up so I'm happy. I'm considering trialing rabbit just in case he's having digestive issues with all these wet food varieties. I gave each cat just a little bit tonight and they loved it. Didn't want to over do it just in case, so we will see how this settles with them.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had their prednisolone in liquid form? I just got mine from the pharmacy and it says it has almond oil in it. I heard it was not good for cats but I called the pharmacy and they said it should be fine unless he has a specific reaction to it. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this?
My cat Mumu was on liquid prednisolone, because she refuses all pills. It smelled like cherry cough syrup, but it was not oily at all. She tolerated it just fine. Unlike her compounded liquid gabapentin and allergy medicine, she never drools when she gets the liquid prednisolone. I hope this helps!

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The liquid prednisolone has been a life safer. It's so much easier to give him than a pill. I think it's helping!