Can you reheat KMR ?

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am currently raising an orphan kitten. I'm using the KMR liquid ready to use cans. He doesn't always finish his bottle. For awhile I would put it in the fridge to reheheat by the warm water method.

Then I started wondering if that was a smart thing to do. Mr. Google didn't help....
YB5ZKLCV-604975613.jpeg

ms688

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have been doing it with the kitten i found, from 1 week to now 4.5 weeks and weaning and he is just fine! no idea if that's 'ill advised' but we've had no issues!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I am currently raising an orphan kitten. I'm using the KMR liquid ready to use cans. He doesn't always finish his bottle. For awhile I would put it in the fridge to reheheat by the warm water method.
KMR milk replacer is very nutrient rich and it is at risk to bacteria when opened. That's why the recommendation is to discard after 1 hour after feeding or left out at room temperature. Best is to prepare just enough for the feed. You don't want your baby to get food poisoning.

If you need to warm it up, best is to do it by warm water to bring up to room temperature and not in a microwave but I would not suggest warming it up as heat will destroy the nutrients and you'll have loss of nutritional value for the milk.

Their website says reconstituted mile can be kept for 24 hours in the fridge - KMR® Kitten Milk Replacer Powder | PetAg (en-US)

Here's a thread on this and some members do refrigerate after awhile - Left POWDERED KMR out for 2 days - is it bad!

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise

Then I started wondering if that was a smart thing to do. Mr. Google didn't help....View attachment 474090
Oh my- most adorable little baby- just precious

I'm a little lazy when it comes to ready to use vs mixing so I used the ready to use cans myself with Sami and just threw out the leftover - honestly I did not trust reheating or leaving out after refrigeration to room temp

The price we pay if we don't want to mix it ourself ,that's how I justified discarding it,lol( pay for the convenience)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I'll pitch each leftover then. I've been through so many stylus of bottles trying to get him to latch.....current one doesn't feed well with small amounts. Getting a different style today. Again thanks for the advice !

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I'll pitch each leftover then. I've been through so many stylus of bottles trying to get him to latch.....current one doesn't feed well with small amounts. Getting a different style today. Again thanks for the advice !
Thankfully there are so many styles- Sami latched on easily enough but he was a bit older than your baby and he weaned early as well- he really was an easy baby...... I hope your next one is it!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Should be ok as uou do. But at most once.

Ps the ready made KMR isnt pptimal. Next time you buy try with some else. KMR in powder, or even goats milk. Or a kmr based on goats milk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was using the plain KMR. I just ordered some like you guys suggested. Will the switch cause diarrhea? He just got over that....

At least he likes his new bottles.
Screenshot_20240413_082731_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions !

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I was using the plain KMR. I just ordered some like you guys suggested. Will the switch cause diarrhea? He just got over that....

At least he likes his new bottles.View attachment 474168
Thanks for the suggestions !
Oh yay!you must be relieved- happy he's latching on now!

The one above I use is for sensitive tummies so I wouldn't think it'll be a problem- see if StefanZ StefanZ agrees

Helen Stanke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is beautiful I fed many kittens and could not afford to waste any KMR I reheated and it never seemed to make a difference I do not heat it to hot though just warm