Can you cut coated pepcid pills?

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The pepcid pills i bought have a little film on them. I'm supposed to give a 1/4 of the 10mg pill but can I cut it if it's coated?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually, if a pill is coated, no. Definitely call your vet and see if you can get a prescription for the correct amount, or ask him if it is safe to cut coated pills. There may be tablets or a different form of Pepcid you can safely cut too. Or maybe even a liquid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Usually, if a pill is coated, no. Definitely call your vet and see if you can get a prescription for the correct amount, or ask him if it is safe to cut coated pills. There may be tablets or a different form of Pepcid you can safely cut too. Or maybe even a liquid.
In my country, famotidine is not used for cats at all. I'm using the directions from our old vet abroad and bought pepcid pills abroad also, as we do not have the brand name in my country either. Pepcid used to be a great help for Musiaka when he had his vomiting episodes so I will be using it without the support of local vets, as I am quite tired of their lack of actions and lack of medications. We can't even get Cerenia here in pill form.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are using Pepcid, please buy the PEPCID AC.. The AC does not have any additives to it. It is the only one to use for cats.. Please.

Yes, You can cut the Pepcid AC .. It is ok.. It is coated because it is a very bitter pill. I put it in an empty gel cap; and make sure you use a syringe of water as a 'chaser' to push the pill down-- not to get stuck in the esophagus..

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you are using Pepcid, please buy the PEPCID AC.. The AC does not have any additives to it. It is the only one to use for cats.. Please.

Yes, You can cut the Pepcid AC .. It is ok.. It is coated because it is a very bitter pill. I put it in an empty gel cap; and make sure you use a syringe of water as a 'chaser' to push the pill down-- not to get stuck in the esophagus..
There is no Pepcid AC here :/ just Pepcid... He swallowed it without a problem, I just throw pills into his throat and then give a lickable treat

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry--- I apologize..
Oh no, nothing to apologize for :) I didn't know there was an AC version of Pepcid, but it's definitely not sold in Sweden where I bought the regular Pepcid while I was visiting. And no Pepcid at all in Lithuania where we currently live, just different famotidine brangs. In any case, I gave the 1/4 of that coated pill and it didn't help Musiaka, he's still vomiting, 5 times today. He has these kind of flareups once a month and so far only going in to the vet for Cerenia has helped him get back on track. He's restless, looking for grass and climbing on stuff and his belly is making sounds. I was hoping Pepcid will help like it used to. We're going to get Cerenia later

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ lives in Sweden and may know of the Swedish / European equivalent of Pepcid (famotidine). A compounding pharmacy can make Pepcid into a liquid or other form but I don't know if you have that option where you live.

The pill coating is just to keep the medicine from dissolving on it's journey from the mouth and down the esophagus into the stomach. Stomach acid can handle the medicine but not the sensitive esophagus and mouth. Splitting a coated pill has no effect on how the medicine works. For pets, use a Pill Pocket or other method to cover the split pill and help it get into the stomach quickly. Or immediately feed a yummy canned food treat or tuna after pilling to help push the pill down into the stomach.