Feedback Can We Get The Old Site Back?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just so you know, I've loved this new site since the second it came up. I didn't like the old one at all and almost left because of it. It was the type, I couldn't read it. This new site is so user friendly and for an old fart like me, who's first computer was DOS based, no windows, no mouse, this is great. I don't like to fight just to upload a picture or find something.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
It's Color That Site. Once you download it there's a tutorial that you can practice on. You can change background colors, foreground colors, and choose specific colors that you don't want changed.
Thanks GoldyCat GoldyCat . There was like 4 of them, when I googled it. So now I can try the one you posted. :compsurfing:
I love the new site, I only have access to a laptop and am having a lot of fun going through the site. I am really excited about this!! Thanks TCS for being so awesome and like a family to me!:thanks::)
R raysmyheart . So great to see you. Some of us took an extra day or two to get back on Site. Always nice to see more, and more members.:)

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I like this suggestion, @indyjones. :thumbsup:
Maybe hide the badges on the mobile site and slim down the bar with the posters name a bit.
Maybe not all the badges, but especially the ones from 2015.
(I seriously thought the badge would be around for a month or so. It confused me in all of 2016. Like carrying around an oscar, or tony award, from years past, wherever you go. :blush:)
Making it smaller, or gone, is a good suggestion.

D

Deleted member 115554

Even if it is new the least you could do is listen to your members suggestions.

So far people have suggested the site is rather industrial looking. Maybe try to make it a little less cold by adding a background to posts.

The site is rather bulky on mobile devices such as blackberries and other phones with smaller screens. Maybe hide the badges on the mobile site and slim down the bar with the posters name a bit.

I'm sure this is possible if the Xenforo platform is as customizable as you say
We are listening to suggestions and doing whatever is possible.

Please understand that a migration like this usually is far more messy and disruptive. People, familiar with these things, have congratulated us for being the most smoothest transition ever. It would not have been possible without extremely long hours of work for last few weeks.

Now that most of the major issues have been taken care of, we will slowly focus on optimizing things, implementing feature requests etc. These things take a lot of development hours; esp the things you mentioned. So you will have to be a bit patient :)

It would be nice if you can open separate thread for mobile improvements and point out issues/improvements with images.

Thank you!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
It's the people that make a home.
IMHO, that's the most important thing. I've been running this website for 17 years now. We've changed designs several times over the years and this is our third major software change. These changes are never easy but in the end, it's the people that keep the community moving forward, not the site mechanics. I know the "soul" of this community well enough by now to assure everyone that we will continue and grow stronger. We're too committed to cat care and cat welfare to get anything come in the way of that. :grouphug:

Having said that, I can also tell you this was an upgrade - not just a platform change. You will see the improvement in many ways, as we go along.

As others have said before -

1. We have an ongoing process of tweaking and improving things on an hourly and daily basis. Our developing team, headed by @CvP does an amazing job handling issues that (fortunately!) most members aren't even aware of. They literally have been working around the clock in the past few weeks and even more so once we launched the site. Thank you, guys! :redheartpump:

2. There are still features that are being rolled out gradually. When you're dealing with a site that has over a million visitors a month - tens of thousands a day - you simply can't do it any other way.

3. We have a list of customizations to be carried out once everything is stable and moving forward. We keep adding to that list, largely based on user feedback (plus some of our own ideas :geekcat:).

Even if it is new the least you could do is listen to your members suggestions.
We most certainly do. If you see any suggestion that didn't get an answer from a staff member, could you please flag it to let us know?

We try to keep track of everything. As has been said before, we prioritize bugs and platform malfunctions first. Adjustments and tweaking come second. Suggestions for major changes are also being taken into account but will take longer to implement.

As for feedback on design -

Our focus is on compatibility with various devices. I think what we have now is a huge improvement in terms of mobile experience over the entire site (not just the forums).

As for color scheme etc, I know from experience there will never be a design that everyone will be happy with. Again, we do listen to complaints and will be making some changes to design as well. Your feedback is appreciated and is absolutely taken into account. It will take time to test things and change the aesthetics - without compromising usability.

Thank you for your patience!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Oh, one more thing! Please please open new threads here with suggestions, feedback, questions etc. instead of replying to existing threads on another topic. It will help us a lot! Must easier to listen to user feedback when it's marked in a separate thread with a clear title. Thank you!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I just want to know if you all wore a wig like I suggested so that you'd still have your real hair after having pulled on it all week (well, 10 days)!
I'm glad to say a wig wasn't necessary. Artificial nails to cover for nail biting sufficed. :lol:
There is still a lot to be tweaked and changed around here. I'm working on making the articles section more inviting and it's going to take a while long (I am literally going through hundreds of articles one by one...) We're still not done with some site functions which may require custom coding.
Having said that, all in all, I'm am very pleased with the move. Switching a site of this size to a new platform is very complicated and the tech team here lead by @CvP and @HellaSteph made it super smooth.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you know... that there is actually a nail biting smiley??!
Here it is!!

:)
:lol:[email protected] smiley looks way too nervous. Is there another one, that is more of a 'thinking type while biting nails' smiley?
...There is still a lot to be tweaked and changed around here. I'm working on making the articles section more inviting and it's going to take a while long (I am literally going through hundreds of articles one by one...) We're still not done with some site functions which may require custom coding.
Having said that, all in all, I'm am very pleased with the move. Switching a site of this size to a new platform is very complicated and the tech team here lead by @CvP and @HellaSteph made it super smooth.
"...going through articles one by one..." :thud::) ;)
And it still boggles the mind, that the switch-over had hardly any down-time. Unreal.:cloud9: :thumbsup:
(Your tech team, and regular team, reminds me of the movie "Hidden Figures", where we don't even know, that there are amazing people, behind the scenes, fixing things.):compsurfing:

PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws ...I think you'll have to find an emoji, about taking a long, long vacation, or being pampered, relaxing, etc. since this group, above, deserves it. Oh, but I just realized, that someone has to stay behind, and answer questions. oops. :blush: :purplebutterfly: :catrub:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I will look for one, lol - but I don't think so. :)
That's okay, don't do any extra work. :cool2:
I enjoy seeing all your different smilies, on the threads, posts, messages...whatever they're called, now. :lol: :wink: :crazy:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws ...I think you'll have to find an emoji, about taking a long, long vacation, or being pampered, relaxing, etc. since this group, above, deserves it. Oh, but I just realized, that someone has to stay behind, and answer questions. oops. :blush: :purplebutterfly: :catrub:
They do deserve it! I will look for some.