Can Somebody Explain About Boxes versus Crates?

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you all know how it is. You leave a box sitting around and a cat will get in it (even a shoe box!) You leave a grocery bag, gym bag, tote bag open and a cat will get in it. I can't pack a suitcase with her jumping inside. Heck, I recently put a salad bowl on the kitchen counter and when I turned around there was a "Stella Salad" peering at me.

But put tasty treats in a nice, comfy cat carrier and the cat WILL NOT GO IN IT. NOT FOR ANYTHING.

Me calling the vet this morning, "I'm sorry, we won't be there for our appointment, the cat won't go in the carrier."

SIGH....

(PS...whoever comes up with a cat carrier that resembles a cardboard box will be a millionaire!)

Attachments

Last edited:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we always just leave graycies out in the bedroom and she likes to sleep in her carrier :rolleyes:ofcourse she knows when its time for a vet visit but if i bring her carrier out to the living room area she will just just hop in herself to nap

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we always just leave graycies out in the bedroom and she likes to sleep in her carrier :rolleyes:ofcourse she knows when its time for a vet visit but if i bring her carrier out to the living room area she will just just hop in herself to nap
I tried that strategy! I'd leave the carrier out with the door open and treats inside hoping she'd just go in it on her own and get comfortable with it. She never once stepped foot in it. I finally gave up and put it away, hoping when I brought it back out it would seem "new" and she'd want to check it out - that didn't work, either. I give up!

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lol. I can remember as a kid, me and my sister trying to put our cat into a hard sided carrier for a vet visit. All four paws spread across the opening, with us pushing on her bum. After a while, we figured out that, just like with horses, you could put a towel over her head and plop her right in. Of course, this was followed by a seriously angry look at how we had tricked her.

Now days, I try to schedule visits during nap time. Have the carrier ready to go in another room. It‘s soft sided, so undoing the zipper must be done quietly. Then just pick up sleepy kitty and in she goes. It probably helps that my vet supplies drugs beforehand.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried that strategy! I'd leave the carrier out with the door open and treats inside hoping she'd just go in it on her own and get comfortable with it. She never once stepped foot in it. I finally gave up and put it away, hoping when I brought it back out it would seem "new" and she'd want to check it out - that didn't work, either. I give up!
We just went with the duffle bag style top opening type then just left in a spot and forgot about it letting her get used to it on her own. Now its one of her napping spots

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We just went with the duffle bag style top opening type then just left in a spot and forgot about it letting her get used to it on her own. Now its one of her napping spots
I think that's the type my son has for his cat and he has no problem getting her in it. I might have to try that.

Last edited:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i forgot to mention they do make card board box style carriers but they are flimsy and not secure at all so i would not use one for any cat. they tried to give us one when we adopted graycie i just laughed told em toss it out and put her into the one we bought for her for the trip home.