Can Kittens Overeat?

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

Is it possible for kittens to overeat or do they eat when hungry? Thanks!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Kittens eat quite a bit as they are growing up. They won't overeat.

Best is let them have at least 5 - 6 meals in a day. Ration out the proportions with the number of times of feed. Example - xxx amount xxxx times a day or xxxx amount xxx times a day. To get the rough guide, put a substantial amount and see whether the kitten finishes it or not. If he does and still hang around and ask for for, add more for him. If he walks away and leave some food behind, that's the amount he eats at one sitting.

Here I'm talking about canned food (wet food) and not free feeding on Kibbles. If you can, start your kitten on scheduled feeds.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, everyone says to let them eat as much as they want, but I had a kitten who did that, and by the age of 1 years old, he was 4 pounds over weight :eek3: So...although the theory holds up most of the time, sometimes someone comes along and throws a wrench in it :lol:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten who will be 7 months old next week seems to be storing a bit of fat in her primordial pouch, so I'm hoping she won't have weight issues. I have a theory that the age at which they're spayed/neutered may increase the propensity for extra weight. Aside from the bit of spay-sway, she's in good shape right now.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
As long as she is kept within her daily calories intake and excercise and staying off dry food, she should be able to maintain a healthy weight.

DragonsNKitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens need access to quite a bit of food as they grow! My boys got an all-you-can-eat buffet (ok, really it was lots of small meals throughout the day, with refills if they needed) up until about 10 or so months. That's when they stopped really growing. My girls eat about 6 oz of canned food each per day right now, despite being under 3 lb each. They eat what they need.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens have incredible metabolisms and will burn what they eat.
I believe in free feeding kittens a supply of quality dry, with timed canned meals at least daily if not twice a day.
As the growing slows so does the appetite with most cats.
If it needs curbing then adjust or remove the dry, rather than free feeding it.
I think as cats age, those who put on weight are often purely bored and lacking stimulation physically and mentally.
Happens easily too, just goes to show you how intelligent they are! :tongue:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone!