Can I use different types of litter on different house floors?

catsmeow100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Perhaps you could answer a question for me.

I have 2 cats since kittens and are now 5 yrs old. They have shared one litter box ,which I have always used Special Kitty, a brand of Walmart.

It is pretty heavy and comes in 14lb. jugs.

However my cats also come upstairs many times and sometimes even sleep up there.

My concern is I have a new litter box for the upstairs but the litter is so heavy, I don't know how I will manage getting it up and down.

I was wondering how big of a deal is it to use one kind of litter downstairs (which I can manage the heavy litter) but using a lightweight litter in the one upstairs.

.Thank you!

Last edited:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
As long as your cats are willing to use different types of litter you can definitely use two different kinds. I would try putting out two litter boxes on the same level with different litter in each one to see what they prefer. Then if it works you can move the litter box with the lighter weight litter upstairs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsmeow100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is a great idea!
Thank you so much for your reply.

I will be looking at the posts  to see if anyone tried using 2 litters but if they haven't . I hope they saw your post and tried it.

I do have to be honest, though, when I didn't get a reply fast as I thought, I went ahead and put the new box upstairs and carried those 2 jugs -14lbs each , of litter up and though my boys are definitely using it because it is the same as downstairs, tomorrow is the big day for cleaning those boxes (UGH!) I dump and clean weekly, so that is going to be a chore but best not to upset the boys.

One thing though, a friend of mine said since I use the litter bags in the boxes, why not tie up the litter in that bag and place it in a handled bucket and bump it down the stairs.

I will give that a try for now.

THank you again

That is a great idea!