Can I tell if my cat is neutered?

Pinceau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Long story short, a coworker had a stray cat in her neighborhood for months and couldn't find the owners. We took him in and I'm not certain if he's neutered. It looks like he does have balls but they are small and I'm not very familiar with the process.

We will take him in to a vet when he seems calm enough, but I was wondering if anyone could tell if he's neutered or if that is something not obvious and I need a vet to check.

I heard if you feel them and they are hard they aren't neutered but I might get kitty claws if I try that.

Attachments

Foundkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a male stray once and I dropped him off at the local spay/ neuter clinic to be neutered. When I went back they brought him out and told me he had already been neutered. They had gone thru the process and put him to sleep and shaved him. I would have sworn he was intact! I was embarrassed.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give 'em a poke (he shouldn't object too much to a casual poke, I hope!). If the testicles are in there, they'll feel like gummy marbles. If not, it will be an empty fur sack.

You're right; it's hard to tell on him. I think they'd be larger if he were intact, but I also think they'd be smaller if he were neutered :dunno: .

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The new look in neutering is to leave something that appears to be testicles. Jamie came home looking as if he had not been neutered, but absolutely had, although he still appears to have all his parts, just a little smaller in size.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're gonna have to get your hands on those little bulges. Fortunately, cats don't have the same knee-jerk reaction to such things that humans do, and so long as you are reasonably gentle, he won't object. And BTW, W Willowy , "gummy marbles" may be the best description I've heard to date. I'll be stealing that in the future! And I'll TRY to remember who said it first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pinceau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh you guys are right! While the skin is intact there is nothing inside and he didn't mind at all. Although boy did I feel like a creep.