Can I stop a kitten from bonding with me?

satooty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I have a problem that is stressing me out a lot. My husband and I just got an 11 week old kitten. This is supposed to be his pet because I already have a cat I love very much.
For the first 4 days she was here, I fed her and I also tried to socialize her by picking her up a lot and putting her on me while she slept. Then I realized that was causing her to pay more attention to me than my husband.
I read that a cat can create a new bond at any age, like when an adult cat is adopted. I really don't want this cat to prefer me because she isn't a very cuddly cat, and that's just not my type. We can only have 2 cats at any time, and I would be very sad if we didn't have a cuddler. I just want her to go to my husband when she is looking for affection, so that he will feel that she is his cat.
So far (starting on day 5), I've had him feed her instead of me, and him give her treats. I taught him to blink slowly at her, and I only stare at her. I put her on his lap while she sleeps, and he is the main one who plays with her. Is there anything else I can do to influence who she bonds with?
Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

satooty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to say, I think there may be a chance of changing who she is bonding with because of the fact that cats can form new bonds at any age. That's why I am making this effort.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I am going to state this first, a cat is a cat, only they will decide who they will bond with and when. That being said, I do recommend that he feeds her all her meals and plays with her as she'll see him as the bringer of good things. I'm not sure what you mean by not wanting the cat to prefer you besides upsetting your husband. She may bond with both of you. I would advise you to not move her while she is sleeping as that may upset her and someone may get scratched. If she likes being groomed your husband could do that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

satooty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. Thank you for that response. Yes, it will make my husband sad if the kitten likes me better. I already have a very loving cat, but my husband doesn't. We'll keep trying by having him feed and entertain her.

Thank you, again.

luvdatcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow. I'm having exact problem with my 2 1/2 mth old kitten that I adopted for my husband 2 weeks ago, but she is a clinging vine with me, has nothing to do with him. I am asking if your kitten has bonded with your husband yet by feeding, treats, playing?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

Wow. I'm having exact problem with my 2 1/2 mth old kitten that I adopted for my husband 2 weeks ago, but she is a clinging vine with me, has nothing to do with him. I am asking if your kitten has bonded with your husband yet by feeding, treats, playing?
  @luvdatcat this thread is a few months old, and it's likely you won't get a response.