Can I Encourage My Cat To Puuuurrrr Louder?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He puuurrrrsss silently but I can feel it. He is on the smaller/more slender end & he was feral the first month of his life. His brother & sister our normally but he puuurrrrs quietly only. He is more talkative then his brother & sister.

I miss having a cat puuurrring loudly on my lap (Dante) but also I would really love to hear Jackie’s puuuurrrrrrr.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a cat that squawks - loudly - and the squawks can mean most anything, from good things to bad things for her. None of my other cats did this. She is who she is and I appreciate her for who she is. She can't replace Gracie or Tawny; nor could Gracie or Tawny have replaced her if she had come before them.

Remember fondly your buddy Dante and appreciate him for all he gave to you, but appreciate Jackie for what he has to offer - in his own way!! That is what is so wonderful about cats - each of them has something different to offer and for us to recognize and appreciate!!

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that every cat has their own, unique voice. Selene is a loud meower, but a very quiet purrer. Charlie, on the other hand, is a squeaker with a very loud purr.

Do I wish I could hear Selene's purring? Sort of-but I can feel it, and that's really what matters :catrub:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Austin doesn't purr very loud, sometimes can't really even hear him at all. Conversely, my RB kitty Swanie had a purr you could hear in the next county. Austin never purrs louder no matter how much petting he gets and how much he obviously loves it.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of anyone "purr training a cat." You kinda get what you get. I have one that I have feel his throat to be sure if he's purring or not. The other two purr at normal volume.

That being said, they do seem to purr louder when they're really happy, like when I pet them while they're eating or when they're in a sleepy, lazy mood.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably not, but you can certainly train them to understand that some of their favorite things are coming which gets the purr motor going for most cats. Like if you sometimes give them a little cooked chicken breast, you can show it to them and wait two minutes. Do that semi-regularly and its like winding up the purr machine, they will purr as soon as you show it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just miss knowing when he is puuurrrring. I have to touch him to see if he is happy. By training I meant if I fake puuurrrrted at him would he puuurrrr louder over time?

I know Jackie can’t/won’t/I shouldn’t even try try to replace Dante. When Jackie puuuurrrs I can feel it through my mattress & his cat bed (next to my pillow.) I am wondering if his puuuurrrr might get louder as he grows biggger. He is 1 yr old on the 14th.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It isn't really known exactly how or why cats purr. People assume it is a conscious thing that happens when they are happy but it can happen when they are nervous, in pain or discomfort, or as a baby for their mother to locate them and vice versa, to relax and heal, among many other reasons. WE might enjoy it but it isn't always done for positive reasons that it occurs.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
As a random side note: Apparently big cats that purr such as cheetahs and cougars do so at the same frequency as small domestic cats. :)

Lions and tigers can’t purr, but they can roar. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I puurrr at him he puuurrrs slightly louder (in that if I turn of the tv I can just barely hear him) so I will do it every day for a month or two and see what happens.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
it varies. Freya, for example, is super loud when she talks, but her purr is so quiet my wife and I often cant' even tell unless we put our ear against her.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats purr as they do, some loud,some silently. It is just who they are. I have one right now that purrs so loud you have to turn the TV up. He does it in the morning to wake me up, too. He doesn't purr so loudly all the time, so I think he is trying to get attention.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Juniper is also a very quiet purrer, and a small cat. I can tell she's purring by looking at the rhythm of her breathing. It's kind of syncopated, and her side rises and falls more quickly even though she looks very relaxed. We've had her for about two years, and she's about two and a half, and I do think that her purr has gotten a little louder when she hops up on the bed for a snuggle at night. She also seems to purr for longer and with more verve these days during lap-sitting time.

My first cat purred like a motor boat and had two very definite levels of pur. She'd start off in low gear (which was still a very distinct rumble) and then work up to full speed, which sounded a bit like an asthmatic cough. I do miss that.