Can Humans Spread Diseases To Cats?

lilmopeep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am curious about this, but all I read is Cats spreading diseases to humans. Is the reverse not possible as well?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the disease. Most diseases are species specific, but not all are.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the main one that comes up when this is discussed is the flu. It isn't all flu viruses but some can be passed between species. It is a virus that is constantly mutating so certain types become communicable between species. The way I understand it all flu actually begins in birds. It then mutates as it passes between various animals.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the main one that comes up when this is discussed is the flu. It isn't all flu viruses but some can be passed between species. It is a virus that is constantly mutating so certain types become communicable between species. The way I understand it all flu actually begins in birds. It then mutates as it passes between various animals.
Please correct me if I'm wrong. But you are talking about true influenza, not the 24-48 hour bug that everyone calls the flu...correct?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes the true influenza. The one that they try to get the right blend for with the annual vaccination and they sometimes don't get a good blend. A lot of people think there is a stomach flu and there is no such thing. That could be a virus of some type or some type of food poisoning but it isn't influenza.