Can gabapentin cause diarrhea

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone:

I know gabapentin can cause drowsiness and ataxia, but can it cause loose stools too? Henry takes a probiotic - fortiflora - per the vet's instructions. Henry was taking antibiotics for a bad abscess (long story short: He was abandoned by his former owners - they got dogs & booted their cats outdoors. Cat was attacked by other cats).

The infection is cleared and the antibiotics were stopped two days ago. However, he is still taking gabapentin.

Is the diarrhea Henry is experiencing a result of the gabapentin? He doesn't act sick - eating, drinking is normal. The other cats in the household are fine - no diarrhea problems.

Please advise. Poor Henry has a tough life :(

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Poor Henry. :( While it’s not a common side effect of gabapentin, it's possible that it could cause diarrhea. How much longer are you supposed to give it?

It’s also possible, though, that it’s a residual effect of the antibiotics. Did the vet tell you to separate the period of time between administering the antibiotics and giving the FortiFlora? If you gave them at the same time, the antibiotic simply killed the bacteria in the FortiFlora.

You might try giving Henry S. boulardii instead. It’s a yeast-based probiotic that’s unaffected by antibiotics, and many people have found it effective for treating diarrhea in their kitties.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Henry. That is great information in the previous post. I just wanted to say that I am very glad that Henry is with you now. His life just got better! I hope he will be okay from now on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It has been four days since Henry had any antibiotic. How long would a residual effect last?

Yes, I waited several hours and the vet included instructions too

I believe the gabapentin may be causing the diarrhea as that is the only med he is taking. He doesn't seem sick but you know cats -very stoic & good at hiding their illness when they aren't feeling well

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor Henry. That is great information in the previous post. I just wanted to say that I am very glad that Henry is with you now. His life just got better! I hope he will be okay from now on.
Thank you! I wasn't planning on having another cat. But I just couldn't do nothing. So - there we are.

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One last thing - Henry had a compete fecal test prior to his surgery and everything was normal. The test included giardia too.

So the cause of Henry's loose stools is a mystery.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Does Henry have liquid diarrhea? That’s a conversation to have with your vet. He could quickly become dehydrated which is definitely not good. Plus there could be more serious underlying problems.

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is odd - his stools. I will bring him in to the vet this afternoon. He can take Molly's appointment and I will take her next week

The situation reminds me of when Punky had feline coronavirus.