Can Cats Have Dandruff?

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When brushing my 4 and a half years cat Sombra I have noticed scales on her fur similar to human dandruff. Do cats get dandruff like humans do?

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
I've noticed overweight kitties almost always have some on their top back ends from not being able to get in the right position to groom the area so good.

But I've also seen it on a few normal weight kitties. Especially in the winter.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies. No, I haven't seen Sombra scratch herself really. She does groom herself which is a different matter. I will increase her dose of canned paté and see if that makes a change. I don't think I can get fish oil here but I'll find out. I doubt she would like olive oil but I will mix a little bit with her canned food and see. Her dry food is Purina's " Excellence" which was recommended by the shelter's vet and which likes well.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I cannot get fish oil here. I wonder if the oil which comes in the cans of Tuna Fish in Oil would be suitable. Any opinions?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not sure about a routine amount of tuna oil being a good idea. It might be OK for a once-a-week treat, but I wouldn't suggest using any more than that.

I also thought that olive oil was primarily used topically for feline dry skin??

How about coconut oil? I know it can be used, but let's see if other have an opinion on this - as well as other ideas.

Also, do you have access to amazon.com? I would search there too for fish oil supplements.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you FeebysOwner and verna davies for your comments and suggestions. I have just received a phone call from my Pharmacy proposing what here is called "VYBZ Omega - Fish Oil" which will be deliveried to me this afternoon. Hopefully it is suitable for my purpose. I will take a close look at this product and will be reporting later. I am not too worried about Sombra's dandruff because she doesn't seem to itch but would be happy to stop it from progressing.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have now received what is called "VYBZ Omega - Liver Fish Oil". The ingredients are: Liver fish oil, DL-alfa tocoferol acetate, citrical essences, E-319 antioxidant,
Decosahexaenoico and Elcosapentaenoico, whatever those mean.
I am told that once it is opened it should be kept in the refrigerator and used during the following 30 days.

I'm planning to start using it tomorrow with the canned food and hope Sombra will accept it.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the oil in tuna in US anyway, is vegetable oil and, according to Sweet Gum, not meant to be eaten.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank for the information Kflowers. I am glad I asked. Actually FeebysOwner had already discouraged me from using it.

I was a able to get fish oil from a pharmacy. I have mixed a little bit with Sombra's canned paté and she has accepted it without any problem. Her dundruff is not noticeable and she doesn't scratch herself. It is only when I brush her that a little bit comes to the surface. It is a question of letting it get worse. I'm hoping it will disappear after using the fish oil from the pharmacy for a short time.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank for the information Kflowers. I am glad I asked. Actually FeebysOwner had already discouraged me from using it.

I was a able to get fish oil from a pharmacy. I have mixed a little bit with Sombra's canned paté and she has accepted it without any problem. Her dundruff is not noticeable and she doesn't scratch herself. It is only when I brush her that a little bit comes to the surface. It is a question of letting it get worse. I'm hoping it will disappear after using the fish oil from the pharmacy for a short time.
Of course I meant to say: "It is a question of NOT letting it get worse."

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we had one who was stocky, not fat, retired old man, who couldn't reach his lower spine to wash. We acquired a puppy who adored him and spend an hour a day washing him. He liked the puppy and indulged her. Cleared up his dandruff in a couple of weeks and it never came back.

I'm guessing a puppy isn't in your plans. ;)

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is an interesting story Kflowers. But I imagine that if Sombra doesn't scratch it is because there is no itching not because she cannot reach. In other words her dandruff is not severe but I wish to stop it from progressing.

No I wouldn't adopt a puppy knowing I couldn't survive it. I have already made arrangements for Sombra's adoption after my "departure"