Can cats have bad dreams?

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my cats jolted up from a nap and now he’s acting scared of everything. He’s slinking around the house and walking so slow. I tried picking him up and he flew out of my arms

can cats have bad dreams? What else could it be? How long should it take him to go back to normal? He was totally fine a few hours ago. Running around like normal with him zombies

I wonder if I should take him to the emergency vet. He’s 2 years old.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have read studies that say animals do dream, so I can't imagine why that wouldn't include bad ones too. Unless you have reason to believe something else is going on, especially considering how young your cat is, I'd say give him some time to get over it and just act normally so that he doesn't pick up on some panic vibes from you that could make him act off even more. As long as you don't see a progression of signs to indicate he is getting worse, I'd wait a day and see how he is doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. I have read studies that say animals do dream, so I can't imagine why that wouldn't include bad ones too. Unless you have reason to believe something else is going on, especially considering how young your cat is, I'd say give him some time to get over it and just act normally so that he doesn't pick up on some panic vibes from you that could make him act off even more. As long as you don't see a progression of signs to indicate he is getting worse, I'd wait a day and see how he is doing.
Thank you for the reassurance. It’s been a few hours, he was still walking slow likes he’s scared or doesn’t know where he is. But he ate a little and he’s back sleeping again. Hopefully no more repeats of that!!