Can cats catch colds from humans?

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I have a cold right now, and I was sweet talking, my cat, and I may accidentally have gotten some spit in her eye. She’s a Persian cat and has very big eyes, so I am concerned because she is already so congested all the time due to her breed.

She didn’t squint her eyes or anything afterwards so it’s possible that the spit landed somewhere near her and she just closed her eyes, but I am still concerned.

I asked Pawp, virtual advice service that I have for pets, and they said that cats can’t really catch that much stuff from humans and that she should be OK. I always find this group very helpful, so I figured I would ask here as well.

I have been super careful with her the whole time I’ve been sick, washing my hands all the time and making sure I don’t pet her until my hands are clean. I’ve also been avoiding any kisses or anything like that.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello,
I have a cold right now, and I was sweet talking, my cat, and I may accidentally have gotten some spit in her eye. She’s a Persian cat and has very big eyes, so I am concerned because she is already so congested all the time due to her breed.

She didn’t squint her eyes or anything afterwards so it’s possible that the spit landed somewhere near her and she just closed her eyes, but I am still concerned.

I asked Pawp, virtual advice service that I have for pets, and they said that cats can’t really catch that much stuff from humans and that she should be OK. I always find this group very helpful, so I figured I would ask here as well.

I have been super careful with her the whole time I’ve been sick, washing my hands all the time and making sure I don’t pet her until my hands are clean. I’ve also been avoiding any kisses or anything like that.
Cats cannot get catch a cold form us as the virus is of a different strain but they may catch a cold from other viruses as some viruses survive on different host. Some bacterial infections are possible to be spread on from humans to cats.

Best is to have a good personal hygiene and put on a mask for further precaution iso that the household and cats are safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats cannot get catch a cold form us as the virus is of a different strain but they may catch a cold from other viruses as some viruses survive on different host. Some bacterial infections are possible to be spread on from humans to cats.

Best is to have a good personal hygiene and put on a mask for further precaution iso that the household and cats are safe.
Will definitely do! Thank you so much. Do you think I should be worried for what already happened?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Can cats catch a cold from humans? Short answer is yes.

The risk is very low but still it is possible depending on the type of bacterial or viral infection thst is present- and the likelihood of humans contracting a zoonotic disease or illness from a cat is low as well ,unless a person has a weakened immune system or an immature one( babies & children)

Spit in your cats eye? I doubt much will come of it but always be extra careful when handling and coming into close contact with your kitty when you are sick- an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

It's probably a better question to ask " what can humans and cats transmit to one another"... the list is pretty long but most are highly preventable