Can Cats Become Depressed?

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 9 year old cat, Asti is still showing strange behavior. His brother, who he's been with for all of his life, died a little over a month ago. He saw his brother have a seizure before I rushed him to the Emergency Vet & had to let him go so I think he understood right away that his buddy was gone.

All he does now is sleep & over groom himself. I also noticed that he is drinking more. He isn't urinating any more than usual though so I don't think the amount he's drinking is excessive. Also he's been licking his nose/lips?? But he's still eating the normal amount & his litterbox habits are completely normal. I don't think he's nauseous. He also isn't drooling nor does he shy away when I touch his face so I don't think he has any dental issues.

He had a chem panel & CBC done a week ago & everything was fine. The vet did a physical exam & checked the front of his teeth & said everything looked good.

He's overweight & is on a diet at the moment. He really hasn't ever been very active but he just is even less active lately.

Can cats get depressed or anxious? I spend a lot of time trying to play with him but he just isn't very interested. Can his blood work look good & there be something wrong with him?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi MerlotandAsti,

So sorry to hear that Asti's buddy is gone.

Here's an article that may answer your question :-

[article="32396"][/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for the reply. One of the examples in the article sounds a lot like him. He looks out the windows a lot & cries sometimes. My poor baby. He still cuddles with me a lot.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From my experience, yes. Angel was Tiger's best friend and she would look for him... it was heartbreaking to watch.

They may not know why they are gone, but I do think if they were bonded; they will miss them. I never got another cat after I had to put Tiger down suddenly.. because I had Miagi & Angel to care for. She didn't really mourn over Miagi, they weren't close but she has helped me get through it and continues to do so for both boys.
I'm so sorry for both of your loss.. it is never easy.

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Miagi's_Mommy. Asti used to fight with Merlot a lot but I think he was just trying to play with him. They also got very jealous of each other, especially when Merlot was going downhill & I had to give him a ton of attention. They spent a lot of time together so I don't think that there is any way that he can't miss him.

I spend all of my time with him & I constantly stress & worry that he'll suddenly leave me like Merlot did. So every little change really scares me & I'm always posting on here & taking him to the vet. I really appreciate everyone's advice & stories.

I just want my sweet boy to live a long, comfortable life. The though of him being in pain really digs at me.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe that cats can become depressed.

While none of my cats have endured the loss of a fellow cat in the house, I have moved numerous times over the past few years and sometimes our household has to temporarily split for a few weeks mid-move.  I have found that our cats act considerably differently when the household is split.  If Shadow is away from me, she becomes far less active and tends to stay in a single room.  If Montressor is away from my husband, he gets very clingy and when reunited doesn't leave my husband's side.

In a human, these behaviors are part of the diagnostic criteria for depression.

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there anything I can do to really decrease his stress? I'm really worried because I have to go on a 3 day trip & I can either have someone come in & feed him at my house or I can take him to my dad's house where he'll have constant supervision. I don't know which will be less stressful for him. I would be more comfortable letting my dad watch him but he'd have to stay in one room all day because he has his own cat..

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Have you tried Feliway diffusers, calming collars or treats?  Sometimes those can help with anxiety and stress.

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Feliway diffusers, calming collars or treats?  Sometimes those can help with anxiety and stress.
I was thinking about trying the diffuser. He hates collars so those are a no. I didn't know they had calming treats. I'll go look around for some tomorrow as well.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Is there anything I can do to really decrease his stress? I'm really worried because I have to go on a 3 day trip & I can either have someone come in & feed him at my house or I can take him to my dad's house where he'll have constant supervision. I don't know which will be less stressful for him. I would be more comfortable letting my dad watch him but he'd have to stay in one room all day because he has his own cat..
When are you going? And not to stress him further, it is good that Asti stay put in your house as it is his familiar ground. Best is whoever is coming to feed him and clear his litter box can come over frequently prior to your leaving so that Asti can get use to the person and not give Asti a shock when you are gone and suddenly find a stranger in your house.
Also just leave an unwashed garment and place it where he likes to lay or sleep so that he can smell your scent to keep him assured that you are still around.

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Absolutely. My parents' cat has now had three friends die on him and is a mess. He wanders around and howls for his friend even though it's been months, and he doesn't want to cuddle with people at all anymore.

They need to get him a companion, but that's not up to me, unfortunately.

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When are you going? And not to stress him further, it is good that Asti stay put in your house as it is his familiar ground. Best is whoever is coming to feed him and clear his litter box can come over frequently prior to your leaving so that Asti can get use to the person and not give Asti a shock when you are gone and suddenly find a stranger in your house.
Also just leave an unwashed garment and place it where he likes to lay or sleep so that he can smell your scent to keep him assured that you are still around.
Im going in about a week. He's never been alone for more than a few hours his entire life so I'm not sure if he'll be more stressed alone in his own environment or with people in another environment

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Absolutely. My parents' cat has now had three friends die on him and is a mess. He wanders around and howls for his friend even though it's been months, and he doesn't want to cuddle with people at all anymore.

They need to get him a companion, but that's not up to me, unfortunately.
Poor kitty. I hope my kitty is just sad & not sick. He worries me so much.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Im going in about a week. He's never been alone for more than a few hours his entire life so I'm not sure if he'll be more stressed alone in his own environment or with people in another environment
It's better that Asti be in his own environment as his scent and your scent are already there. If he goes to another place, it's a total readjustment for him and that will be more stressful and 3 days later he has to come back and that will confuse him and stress him out.
Get the person over soon and get him to visit often and stay longer som hat Asti can can use to him. Though the time is short but it's better than nothing.

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's better that Asti be in his own environment as his scent and your scent are already there. If he goes to another place, it's a total readjustment for him and that will be more stressful and 3 days later he has to come back and that will confuse him and stress him out.
Get the person over soon and get him to visit often and stay longer som hat Asti can can use to him. Though the time is short but it's better than nothing.
Will do. Thank you very much

catmom marcia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cat's psyches are very much like ours, so absolutely, they can become depressed, dejected and lonely.  They are even treated with drugs that are similar to drugs humans would be treated with.  Having said all this, cats are remarkably resilient.  I have seen cats torn from their home and families and brought to the shelter and they go into a deep funk.  Days later, they have bounced back and are fine.  We always try to give cats several days to settle down and get used to their "new normal".  

Last edited:

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are creatures of habit.  That means leaving a cat in the home is far, far less stressful than taking him or her to a strange territory.  Asti is going to be ticked off at you for daring to leave, but he will be considerably less stressed staying home alone.

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor kitty. I hope my kitty is just sad & not sick. He worries me so much.
If you took him for his check-up then he probably is just sad. And I would bet his drinking more water is because he's using so much saliva to groom himself with. My parents' also started licking off all of his fur from the stress so watch out for that.

merlotandasti

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you took him for his check-up then he probably is just sad. And I would bet his drinking more water is because he's using so much saliva to groom himself with. My parents' also started licking off all of his fur from the stress so watch out for that.
I heard that cats with CRF have increased thirst, lethargy/sleeping a lot, & lip licking so that's what scares me a lot. But the vet went over everything with me & said his numbers were all within normal ranges. It isn't likely that the tests were wrong, right?