Can Anyone Help Me Figure Out What Color/pattern These Babies Are?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think that black tortie smoke is the winner! There is a picture of a black tortie smoke Turkish Angora on this website: Cat Colors - Turkish Angora Cats, and Nox's coloring looks very similar to that kitty (Yasmina). Note that you have to look at the overall coor palette, not where the splotches of each color occur, as every cat will be different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DragonsNKitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think that black tortie smoke is the winner! There is a picture of a black tortie smoke Turkish Angora on this website: Cat Colors - Turkish Angora Cats, and Nox's coloring looks very similar to that kitty (Yasmina). Note that you have to look at the overall coor palette, not where the splotches of each color occur, as every cat will be different.
I agree! I wonder if maybe the smoke gene makes the red appear more cream because of the silver undercoat.

merry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This has helped ME! I rescued a kitten that looks so much like Nox, all grown up now, and I've always wondered what she was. Besides loved!!

DragonsNKitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This has helped ME! I rescued a kitten that looks so much like Nox, all grown up now, and I've always wondered what she was. Besides loved!!
I want to see!

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
She can't be Smoke anything. Smokes have white on every hair shaft next to the skin. She might be shaded. Smokes are BLACK or BLUE (grey) solid color, no stripes, dots, patches etc. with dead white roots, not grey roots. They are usually longhaired and appear to be a solid color until they move when the white suddenly flashes, very dramatic.

DragonsNKitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interesting. She looks very similar to the smoke tortie pictures I've been finding online, though they seem confined to Maine Coons and Turkish Angoras. She's a mystery to me!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a link to a Pinterest page where there are some pics of a smoke tortie Siberian. Very similar color to Nox.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say Nox is a tortie and Luna is a torbie (you can see the red spot on her left front foot). Just regular, not dilute or smoke---being longhaired lightens the colors and softens the patterns.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back to my original idea, Nox is a tortie. The cream is simply the dilute of the red. Torties are technically just two colors mottled together. I'll attach a link for you to see the wide variety of colors in torties: 10 Colors, note that this website shows pics of EBurms, but the colors apply to all cats.
But don't torties have to have two orange genes XX ? Can there be a tortie (dilute or not) without orange in them?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
But don't torties have to have two orange genes XX ? Can there be a tortie (dilute or not) without orange in them?
With all the different variations (dilute, double dilute, indigo gene, and smoke) tortie becomes basically two colors mottled together. To be technical, X and Y are the genes that code for gender, female being XX and male being XY. Since the O/o is attached to the X, and a tortie must simultaneously be Oo (O coding for orange, o coding for not orange), torties are nearly always female (unless a male cat inherits XXY, which would make them sterile). For a dilute, the red would become cream. For a smoke, half of the hair shaft is black. which would make the orange become appear darker, so although the orange is still there, it just looks slightly different.

DragonsNKitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Luna is definitely some kind of torbie. We speculated ticked, but she's getting more distinct patterns as she ages, so we'll see. Overall, color-wise, she has blacks, silvers, creams, and browns in her coat.

Nox is definitely some kind of tortie. Not dilute, for sure, since she has black. She has blacks, silvers, whites, and creams in her coat.

All the long-haired torties that I've seen still have distinct orange except for the smokes, so I'm still leaning that direction with Nox unless her coat changes colors as she ages.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Learned something new. I thought they had to have orange in them.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Learned something new. I thought they had to have orange in them.
They do. Or they wouldn't be torties ;). I mean, if they're dilute it could be cream instead of orange but they definitely need one red color and one dark color to be called a tortie.

dbljj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ally has black, auburn and on one paw the underside is a burnt orange. She also has one white whisker on the right side and also one white whisker near her mouth on the same side. Those 2 white whiskers show up really well. her auburn color is 3 stripes across the back.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
They do. Or they wouldn't be torties ;). I mean, if they're dilute it could be cream instead of orange but they definitely need one red color and one dark color to be called a tortie.
I did mean this, only that the orange would look different in different variations (regular vs dilute vs smoke) so sorry for any confusion...

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So what you're saying is, the orange/red is actually there, it just comes out as another color and you can't actually see it.
I'm so confused now. I'm so glad my kitten is plain orange with awesome eyes.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
So what you're saying is, the orange/red is actually there, it just comes out as another color and you can't actually see it.
I'm so confused now. I'm so glad my kitten is plain orange with awesome eyes.
Yes, there is orange there (in genetics terms O coding for orange and o coding for not orange, which gives them their mottled appearance), it just might look different in a regular tortie vs. dilute tortie vs. double dilute tortie. vs indigo tortie vs. smoke tortie.