Can a cat of unknown origin produce gccf registered kittens?

anthea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would it be possible to register said cat by taking certain tests?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I understand it, the parent cats need to be registered in order to register the kittens. Some rare breeds may still have open studbooks, which means you can register a cat of unknown background if they meet certain criteria, but most breeds have closed the studbooks (I don't think they can join CFA until after closing).

You might try contacting the breed club to see what they say. Just google "*breed name* *your country* breed club" and you should be able to find it.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
From what I understand of GCCF regulations, the answer is no.

If you read through the GCCF rules for registration of cats on either the Full or Supplimentary Registers, it is necessary for a cat to have at least 3 generations of documented parentage for both mother and father of the kitten/cat.   In addition, depending on the breed of cat it may be necessary to undertake DNA testing to evidence there is no presence of any known health abnormalities associated with that breed.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I moved your thread to the Ethical Breeding forum 

We had a very similar question here a couple of months ago - 

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/325749/getting-a-stray-cat-to-be-recognized-as-purebred

I checked with the CFA at the time and their answer was very clear. Without papers and a documented lineage, a cat can't be registered and neither will his/her offspring. I assume the GCCF has a similar rule. It makes sense, considering ethical breeding strives to have as fully documented lineages as possible, so that breeds can be improved and genetic issues tracked and addressed.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As I understand it, the parent cats need to be registered in order to register the kittens. Some rare breeds may still have open studbooks, which means you can register a cat of unknown background if they meet certain criteria, but most breeds have closed the studbooks (I don't think they can join CFA until after closing).

You might try contacting the breed club to see what they say. Just google "*breed name* *your country* breed club" and you should be able to find it.
I will tell how this is done in the big european organisation of FIFE in these few cases when novices are admitted.  Its rare nowadays, but an interesting pedagogical example.

So, such an unregistered novice must be shown and approved by two Show Judges, deemed as worthy additions to the breed, and getting as a minimum the show degree of Excellent.   This may be done either privately (for a customary fee and all cost payed I presume) or on a Show, where the judge is informed its a novice examination.

As its easy understand, in practice it must be fertile cats in appropriate age. Otherwise they cant be seen as a worthy addition to the breed no?  also, its must be rather costly...

OK, lets say this cat gets such a novice approval, and gets a provisorical certificate.   Her his children must be approved in Shows, and get the degree of at least Excellent, to continue with the right to have the  provisorical certificate.  And so on, in four generations.

- I presume they do as breeders usually do: they dont show forward ALL the kittens, but just the best of them.  The others are say sold as pet quality for half payment.

So in the fifth generation, when its completely sure the genes are stable, first at this moment they do get normal standard certificates and pedigrees.

My guess, if you go through the full process in 5 generations, the "novice" most often isnt no random moggie look alike, but a real purebred, whom got astray or where the papers were lost...

@Anthea

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Would it be possible to register said cat by taking certain tests?
it depends on what you mean.  If you want to register as purebred, its at best a difficult and long way.  In some occasions it may be possible yes - but dont count on anything for sure, as most registers are closed for novices.

But if you want to have a decent knowledge if your pretty moggie is perhaps a purebred, yes there are tests, whom do hint the ancestry at least...

Also, you can hire a show judge, to give his private opinion.  It wont be NOT the same as registration, but you will get an educated guess.

For example, the difference between a ragdoll and a Birman isnt sometimes difficult for an non expert...

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

it depends on what you mean.  If you want to register as purebred, its at best a difficult and long way.  In some occasions it may be possible yes - but dont count on anything for sure, as most registers are closed for novices.

But if you want to have a decent knowledge if your pretty moggie is perhaps a purebred, yes there are tests, whom do hint the ancestry at least...

Also, you can hire a show judge, to give his private opinion.  It wont be NOT the same as registration, but you will get an educated guess.

For example, the difference between a ragdoll and a Birman isnt sometimes difficult for an non expert...
As far as GCCF registered kitten potential, I think this suggestion from StefanZ would be the first stage of the very long process he talks about in his earlier post.  

On taking forward - it would need to be after full discussion and agreement with the GCCF and a fully GCCF registered  approved Prefix status breeder of the desired pedigree.   You would then be in the position of going through the next 5 generations with required hereditory / genetic seperation breeding pairings before any of the kittens could potentially be registered by the GCCF.    It is a long path, and one which requires the support of a number of existing, GCCF registered breeders.   Going down any other route would both not achieve possible future pedigree registration and would run high risk of any kittens being born with serious, hereditory health problems and reduced immune systems.  

Last edited: