Can A 11 Month Old Cat And 13 Week Old Live Together?

Deg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

So, I currently have a 11 month old cat. But, a friend of mine asked if I could watch over a kitten for a month or two since he is going on a trip. So, I was wondering if during that time if a 13 week old kitten, and a 11 month old cat can live together without any issues. I’ve just recently adopted my 11 month old cat as well.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. This sort of thing is normally a terrible idea, but here the cats are young enough that it should be fine. 11 month old and kitten almost always become good friends. Which isn't to say that the kitten won't hide for a week, or that the older cat won't be stressed for a bit. But you just don't seem to get lasting problems with these ages regardless of whether you follow the guides or just put them together.

I don't think rigid adherence to guides is too necessary with these ages, but you should at the very least set the kitten up in a safe home base room for a few days so he can get used to the space and you before interacting with the older cat. A mostly empty room tends to be better than the bedroom, because it can be a pain if they hide under the bed, but it is not a big deal regardless. Just not somewhere where they might crawl under an appliance or into a hole in the wall or anything like that. If you would like the guides:

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Introducing Cats To Cats

I thought there was also one for introducing a kitten, but I don't see it now, and in any event, you don't need to do much different other than cat proof a bit more stringently.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is everyone fixed? That will make the process so much easier. And, generally, it will be easier if the resident cat is male.

Like Art said, keep them separated for a week and then maybe don't leave them alone together for another week or so until you've had time to watch them interact for a long period of time. But generally, younger cats and kittens integrate quickly.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In addition the TCS articles A ArtNJ posted, we also have one on How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat | TheCatSite which might have some additional tips for you.

As has already been suggested, do start by keeping the 13 week old in another room (bedroom or bathroom) with food, water, litter box and toys, and letting the older kitten get used to its scent and sounds before letting them meet face to face. And keep them separated when you leave the apartment, possibly during the younger kitten's entire visit, or at least until you are positive they are getting along well, and won't get into a fight.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do.