Can 5 Cats Use 3 Litter Boxes?

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 5 cats. All females. The adults are spayed but my kitten is not. They are 13 yrs, 10 yrs, 10 yrs, 8 yrs, and 7 months old.

I've been using just 2 litter boxes for 2-3 years now and no problems. I use (usually) a clumping litter and scoop 2-4 times a day and change the whole boxes once a month. Litter is currently ScoopAway Super Clump Unscented. I'd like to add a third litter box, but I'm unsure? I do not have the room or time for 5 litter boxes. Each cat does not need its own litter box I believe (humans don't have a toilet per person?!) .

Is this okay to do? Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences? Thanks! Happy Holidays! :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The more the better. I wouldn't recommend only having 3 boxes for 5 cats but if you've been using 2 then it's only an improvement! No, humans don't need one toilet each but cats are a lot more territory-focused. And generally don't flush :tongue2:. If you keep the boxes clean enough your cats may not object.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 5 cats. All females. The adults are spayed but my kitten is not. They are 13 yrs, 10 yrs, 10 yrs, 8 yrs, and 7 months old.

I've been using just 2 litter boxes for 2-3 years now and no problems. I use (usually) a clumping litter and scoop 2-4 times a day and change the whole boxes once a month. Litter is currently ScoopAway Super Clump Unscented. I'd like to add a third litter box, but I'm unsure? I do not have the room or time for 5 litter boxes. Each cat does not need its own litter box I believe (humans don't have a toilet per person?!) .

Is this okay to do? Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences? Thanks! Happy Holidays!
The general rule of thumb is one box per cat plus one extra but if you diligent about scooping it could work. I have 3 cats and 5 boxes. They enjoy having the choices. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
6 boxes for 5 cats is too many. I don't have the room (house is small). When I move soon, I can probably do 3. Yes, I clean it well and use large litter boxes since my cats are Ragdolls. Well, 2 Ragdolls, 2 mutts, and 1 Persian. :)

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think that rule of thumb is great for people with small numbers of cats and large houses, but for large numbers of cats and small apartments, reality dictates otherwise.  My two cats are just fine with one box, which I am careful to keep clean and also have it set up the way they like it (open box, secluded but easily accessed spot, large size).  Unless your cats are territorial about their litter boxes, three should be just fine.  Just keep an eye out for problem signals like reluctance to use the box, jumping out without covering poop, peeing over the side, or pooping outside the box.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your two boxes are just fine as you are scooping often, and the cats don't mind. I have two cats and three boxes, but really, two boxes would be okay for them. I've noticed they have chosen one box to poop in and the others to pee in, but they otherwise share.

guiliana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 11 cats, 4 boxes and no problems. We scoop daily, sometimes twice, depending. HTH!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have three cats and two boxes. I scoop several times a day and have had no complaints as yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! :)

I'll try out a 3rd after Christmas and see how it goes. Late Christmas present for them :lol3: I use to have 3 boxes when I had 4 cats, but no one used the 3rd? We'll see.