Calling all knitters and other woolly things.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Angora's another natural yarn. I haven't knitted for years. I have a bad habit of starting something, getting 3/4 the way through then losing interest in it. I used to knit Aran and Fairisle by hand but latterly used my knitting machine. It was an old Toyota punch card. I stopped using it after my husband passed away. He was outsize and had difficulty getting jumpers to fit him so I had the extension beds on the machine so I could make him warm jumpers. After one of my cats managed to dislodge the safety guard and hook his paw on one of the needles (he was none the worse, licked his injured paw and walked off as if nothing had happened) I dismantled the machine and threw it out. It was getting very difficult to find spares for it anyway.

I can buy jumpers cheaper than I could make. I use a website called Everything5Pounds. I've had some real bargains from them from jumpers to sweatshirts and it's the only place I can get size 4 jeans.
I used to have a Brother knitting machine, but the needles kept jamming even after I had it refurbished. That did it for me! All the machinery and sharp inner workings look dangerous for pets too.
As for the cost of yarn and the time spent knitting or crocheting a hand worked sweater vs buying one..there is so much satisfaction when it is off the needles..UNLESS someone remarks.."Oh, is that homemade?" That is when you just wear it around the house LOL!
I read of a few people who browse the charity and jumble shops like Goodwill for machine made sweaters made from high end yarns like CASHMERE. They take it home, unravel it, wash it and re-ball it and make a lovely sweater that would cost $200 if they bought new yarn from an Indy Dyer.

Last edited:

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do not know how to knit, but wanted to jump in and offer a little warning about knitted cat toys.

I bought some lovely knitted cat toys on Etsy a while ago. My boy took an instant liking to them and decided to lick/groom them. That night he had a puke-a-thon all over the apartment, with every puddle containing some colorful fibers he swallowed while licking the yarn toys.

I don’t know if all yarn will shed fibers like that when licked or if that’s specific to the yarn type the Etsy seller used. But please be careful with yarn cat toys, especially if your cat shows any tendency to lick/groom them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm with GranolaLouise GranolaLouise on the buy vs make thing. It's not so much the saving money as the pleasure of producing the thing. :)
T treeclimber I make pompom type wool cat toys from left-overs and have never had that issue. I guess there's no guarantee what type of yarn is used and whether there are issues with it. :(

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UNLESS someone remarks.."Oh, is that homemade?" That is when you just wear it around the house LOL!
Wow, rude! I’ve never heard someone say that. It’s been “Did you make that?” in tones of admiration. I’ve done it myself, told a total stranger how gorgeous her jumper was and asked if she made it (she had).

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, rude! I’ve never heard someone say that. It’s been “Did you make that?” in tones of admiration. I’ve done it myself, told a total stranger how gorgeous her jumper was and asked if she made it (she had).
Same here. I think knitting is coming into its own again. People tend to be impressed. :)

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here. I think knitting is coming into its own again. People tend to be impressed. :)
It’s funny, I’ve only been knitting ten years and never thought it was something too daggy to be seen doing. (I started using circular needles because I got sick of my straight ones rolling down the aisle on the train!)

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
That looks nice - I presume being a light, fuzzy yarn it being worsted won’t matter for this pattern. What colour are you thinking of?
Oh dear.. is it wrong for the pattern? You realise I have no idea when it comes to knitting anything like this. :paperbag:
I quite like that yellowy colour in the photo, although I rarely wear that colour. Also things tend to drop on me when I wear light clothing... I'm a bit of a slob. So perhaps the earthy brown.
Mind you, number 17 is rather nice..
1672994705410.png

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not wrong, only that iirc the pattern is for DK/8ply, isn’t it? This yarn is worsted/10 ply. It’s not a major thing at all, I’m always doing jumpers in different weight yarns from the pattern. It all comes down to what you want. A worsted weight will have a different gauge from a DK - but again, it’s how you want the fabric to come out. I’m doing one on bigger needles than specified because I like my knitting looser and floppy, and am just making the jumper the smallest size.

Have you ever had to worry about yarn weights in your usual projects?

All those colours are lovely, lol.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Not wrong, only that iirc the pattern is for DK/8ply, isn’t it? This yarn is worsted/10 ply. It’s not a major thing at all, I’m always doing jumpers in different weight yarns from the pattern. It all comes down to what you want. A worsted weight will have a different gauge from a DK - but again, it’s how you want the fabric to come out. I’m doing one on bigger needles than specified because I like my knitting looser and floppy, and am just making the jumper the smallest size.

Have you ever had to worry about yarn weights in your usual projects?

All those colours are lovely, lol.
You're right, of course. I hadn't gone that far, presuming it would be available in the ply I need. But I'm going off it a bit. If you look at the yarn itself, it looks quite 'contrived' if you know what I mean.
No I've never had to worry about weights as I don't use patterns for scarves, blankets etc.. I tend to make it up as I go along. I wish I'd taken photos of the things I've made.
I did use a pattern for the one; the only thing I've knitted that I kept. This was from a Noro pattern book, but isn't noro wool. They had it as a big scarf, but I made it up more as a blanket.
PXL_20230106_095415405.jpg

Last edited:

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are knitting a jumper or sweater you need to get the gauge stated in the pattern. You probably need 20 or 22 stitches to 4" or 5 or 5 1/2 sts per inch. If you use worsted and do a gauge swatch and get that gauge there is the chance of your sweater coming out stiff with no drape!
If you don't do a gauge swatch it may come out too big !
If this is your first jumper, then I would not try to choose a fancy yarn(mohair is tangly and sticks to itself..it is also hard to see what you are doing under all the fuzz). I would go with a plain, solid color, soft merino wool yarn for a first sweater project. Just my opinion..

This is from an Etsy Australian seller and would be MY choice: soft dk, washable, soft on skin. Tons of colors and a great price!

description:

DROPS Merino Extra Fine is cable spun from extra fine merino wool fibers from free-range animals in and South America. Garments made in this yarn are very comfortable and have a great surface quality. This yarn is gentle on the skin, and therefore great for baby and children garments.

Content: 100% Superwash Merino Wool
Yarn Group: B (20 - 22 stitches) / 8 ply / DK / worsted
Weight/yardage: 1.8 oz (50 g) = approx 115 yds (105 m)
Recommended needle size: US 6 / 4 mm
Gauge: 4" x 4" / 10 x 10 cm = 21 sts x 28 rows
Machine wash on gentle cycle warm 40°C / 104F. Don’t use fabric softener. Dry Flat

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're right, of course. I hadn't gone that far, presuming it would be available in the ply I need. But I'm going off it a bit. If you look at the yarn itself, it looks quite 'contrived' if you know what I mean.
No I've never had to worry about weights as I don't use patterns for scarves, blankets etc.. I tend to make it up as I go along. I wish I'd taken photos of the things I've made.
I did use a pattern for the one; the only thing I've knitted that I kept. This was from a Noro pattern book, but isn't noro wool. They had it as a big scarf, but I made it up more as a blanket.
View attachment 440452
I LOVE your basketweave afaghan..the colors are so cheery!:)

Last edited:

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I taught myself to knit several years ago by watching online videos, so I'm far from any good at it. :lol: I've really only made scarves, teddy bears, and ear warmers (I make mine with a narrow stretch so I can wear them under my hair). All stuff that just needs basic stitches and basic patterns; some knitting patterns make my head spin around.

I have a goal to knit a sweater, maybe I'll work on that this year. It probably wouldn't be anything fancy - I love cable stitches but not sure I could actually pull one off! But even a simple wool sweater would be nice. My worry is that I'll get halfway through or totally done and realize I've made it too small/large.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
My worry is that I'll get halfway through or totally done and realize I've made it too small/large.
Yes, that's my issue. I'm so fussy about the 'feel' of clothes, from the texture to the shape. Anything I make will have to be just right.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find this site invaluable even though I knit top down and circular rather than seamed.

Fit:

sorry couldn't figure out how to post the link w/o getting the video in the post
First Sweater Encouragement:

Custom Fit Site:

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New techniques are daunting at times, yet fun once I get into the swing.
I am in the process of knitting socks! I usually use 4 dpn's, but am following a new technique akin to magic loop, but using 2 24" circular needles. I can't tell you how many times I have started the cuff over, but I finally got the hang of it. The gusset will be the most difficult part, I am sure.
I am following Earthtones Girl's No Fear Sock Knitting Class on You Tube.
You Tube Has tons of great tutorials.
Anyone here ever knit socks?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know how to knit, but wanted to jump in and offer a little warning about knitted cat toys.

I bought some lovely knitted cat toys on Etsy a while ago. My boy took an instant liking to them and decided to lick/groom them. That night he had a puke-a-thon all over the apartment, with every puddle containing some colorful fibers he swallowed while licking the yarn toys.

I don’t know if all yarn will shed fibers like that when licked or if that’s specific to the yarn type the Etsy seller used. But please be careful with yarn cat toys, especially if your cat shows any tendency to lick/groom them.
I always keep yarn and cats apart. I put my WIP away (or carry it with me) even if I'm only getting up for a minute. If Austin sees it, he'll try to grab it, and I've learned my lesson.
Play it Safe: Yarn Kills Cats | Cat Wisdom 101

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New techniques are daunting at times, yet fun once I get into the swing.
I am in the process of knitting socks! I usually use 4 dpn's, but am following a new technique akin to magic loop, but using 2 24" circular needles. I can't tell you how many times I have started the cuff over, but I finally got the hang of it. The gusset will be the most difficult part, I am sure.
I am following Earthtones Girl's No Fear Sock Knitting Class on You Tube.
You Tube Has tons of great tutorials.
Anyone here ever knit socks?
I've started socks but they're in time out for now. I'm using 7 inch circular needles, which works really well once you get the hang of it. I can't do the dpns (as in, don't want to) and magic loop looks like too much work.
I'm knitting Vanilla Socks by Crazy Sock Lady. She has a pattern you can buy (I did) and a very easy to follow you tube video. I hope to finish them one day.