Calling all knitters and other woolly things.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've started socks but they're in time out for now. I'm using 7 inch circular needles, which works really well once you get the hang of it. I can't do the dpns (as in, don't want to) and magic loop looks like too much work.
I'm knitting Vanilla Socks by Crazy Sock Lady. She has a pattern you can buy (I did) and a very easy to follow you tube video. I hope to finish them one day.
I like her tutorials.She is a good teacher. Nerdy Knitting is also one that I found last week, but opted for Earthtones Girl because she had something I thought would be adventurous.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
mani mani did you get some yarn?

I just picked up the Patons Bluebell I ordered for the cable jumper this morning. Now to do a swatch for a change.
No it's been put on the back-burner a bit. I think I'll go to a wonderful woolshop I know in Tasmania next month. I really like to see and feel it. :)

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That will be fun and you can get 1 on 1 assistance too..That is something we don;t get when shopping on line and I sometimes get 'burned' that way. You'd think I would have learned by now. But I like to try different yarns at ti,es. it is expensive fun. But now that I have my kitty, most of my fun money goes to her care.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That will be fun and you can get 1 on 1 assistance too..That is something we don;t get when shopping on line and I sometimes get 'burned' that way. You'd think I would have learned by now. But I like to try different yarns at ti,es. it is expensive fun. But now that I have my kitty, most of my fun money goes to her care.
Expensive fun is the best description of it I’ve seen! The yarn I collected yesterday was $135. Patons Bluebell isn’t even an expensive yarn.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! I have never gone over $100.
I live a few hours from Rhinebeck and always wanted to go to the sheep & wool festivals in October and carry about $600 to make nicce sweaters and vests. But I have never been brave enough to go it alone. Seems like everyone goes with a yarn shop group and book a cottage well in advance.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can’t let this thread die! Here’s Daisy keeping guard of the yarn (Stylecraft Special DK) and pattern I’m doing (I have started the cable jumper, but it’s hard on the hands and takes close concentration, so today I’m relaxing with this one that was already under way).

B1693311-ADE9-41A5-A9FD-2068363F3105.jpeg

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cute Cute Kitty! I like the pattern..especially the loose Waterfall look . Is it the Stylecraft that is stressing out your hands, or because there is so much knitting involved overall? Are you braving it and reading a chart?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't post more in this thread because a lot of people look down on me for using acrylic yarn. I can't work with wool and sure can't afford what my LYS charges.

Here is my current WIP. I am further along, but just had to frog several rows because I messed up and missed a row
1675003534655.png

And a recent yarn purchase (and my resident yarn inspector) from one of my favorite shops, Hobbii.com. The Malaga yarn in the back is my favorite to work with.

1675003594307.png

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't post more in this thread because a lot of people look down on me for using acrylic yarn. I can't work with wool and sure can't afford what my LYS charges.

Here is my current WIP. I am further along, but just had to frog several rows because I messed up and missed a row
View attachment 442414

And a recent yarn purchase (and my resident yarn inspector) from one of my favorite shops, Hobbii.com. The Malaga yarn in the back is my favorite to work with.

View attachment 442415
I use acrylic at times! I hate stiff feeling yarns. There are a lot of soft ones though, that I go for when my budget is on the line. Caron has great 'cakes' and also their Simply Soft which gives a lot for your money. I find the Simply Soft a bit splitty, though.
There is a brand at Michaels that has a soft value yarn that feels good..Impeccable. I think when people think Acrylic Super Saver Comes to mind. I have many skeins in my stash, hate using it, but at times I do. I am open to all yarns except Alpaca and others which make me itch or sneeze. My favorite yarn is wool, though..Peruvian or Merino.I hardly can afford yarns other than factory yarns now. Cascade is considered splurging for me now! Even pattern downloads on Rav have escalated to $10 and up!
Have you ever gone for KnitPicks? they have good prices, but the skeins are small.
As for Malaga..they have a good selection of colors, I see. I may shop for some yarn there this summer. Thanks for recommending that yarn.
But I ordered some cord extenders from Hobbii last year and it took a month to arrive. Do you find the shipment very slow to your area of the US?

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cute Cute Kitty! I like the pattern..especially the loose Waterfall look . Is it the Stylecraft that is stressing out your hands, or because there is so much knitting involved overall? Are you braving it and reading a chart?
The Stylecraft is lovely soft stuff, it’s not hard on the hands. No, it’s the Patons Bluebell - 5ply merino, a crepe yarn - that’s harsher, but more particularly the pattern I posted upthread, a very complicated cable done on 3.25mm needles. I haven’t done a jumper on anything so small before. I’m even getting bumps developing on my knuckles from it!

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my! That would take me forever. Those needles are really small for a long cardigan.But some don't mind because they have patience..unlike myself.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

View attachment 442414

View attachment 442415
I mostly use acrylic and blends! I also can’t afford most of the natural fibres and I care more about the colour and softness of a jumper than anything else (pilling, too - only genuine non-pilling yarn I know was Universal Uptown DK).

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mostly use acrylic and blends! I also can’t afford most of the natural fibres and I care more about the colour and softness of a jumper than anything else (pilling, too - only genuine non-pilling yarn I know was Universal Uptown DK).
I have heard good things about universal,especially their cotton worsteds