Calling all knitters and other woolly things.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Great that you are finding your knitting mojo!
I like thinner yarn for the finger comfort. I like chunky yarn because projects don;t take as long, but it hurts my hands. As for mini scarves and something 'real' next. I have sometimes donated WEEKS to replenish my supply of dishcloths! There is a whole culture of knitting dishcloths with intricate patterns! I have made cloths and matching hanging towels as presents. One can sit back and admire a PILE of finished objects in all kinds of colors, tied with a ribbon ready to give away!
They could be great for practicing your bind offs, and you tension, and to learn some new stitches.
If there are mistakes, you could always keep them and use them and no one would know! LOL.
Here is a great link.
(now you make me want to knit some)
[/URL]
This is awesome!!! Thank you so much!! :hugs:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's interesting about finer yarn being more comfortable for you. I find the opposite, because knitting with finer needles is really bad for my fingers, and the only extensive amount of finer knitting I've done was with Patons Bluebell, which feels really harsh on my fingers (it's a crepe yarn). Between that and the 3.25mm (US 3) needles, I've got a permanent swelling on my knuckle. I think it's a ganglion cyst, but at least it's not painful. 4.5mm (size 7) needles and DK yarn are my favourites.
I only have one size of needle (I honestly don't remember what size!) and the finer yarn feels less tense to me. I think it's easier for me to see the individual stitches, and the thicker yarn is thick enough that the stitches look like one large-ish chunk on my needles. Since I've practiced more, it might be fun to try to do something with the thicker yarn and see if it was a total beginners thing or if I'm really just better working with thinner yarn.
Tomorrow it's supposed to be rainy, so no working outside. I'm going to sit down and learn a purl stitch, at least I hope. I'm doing great with a knit stitch and have done a few small projects with it and feel very comfortable with it, and am ready to try some new stuff.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's interesting about finer yarn being more comfortable for you. I find the opposite, because knitting with finer needles is really bad for my fingers, and the only extensive amount of finer knitting I've done was with Patons Bluebell, which feels really harsh on my fingers (it's a crepe yarn). Between that and the 3.25mm (US 3) needles, I've got a permanent swelling on my knuckle. I think it's a ganglion cyst, but at least it's not painful. 4.5mm (size 7) needles and DK yarn are my favourites.
I find socks painful .if I knit with sock weight or fingering weight I usually double it with a lace weight mohair making it do weight. Presently I am using worsted.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find socks painful .if I knit with sock weight or fingering weight I usually double it with a lace weight mohair making it do weight. Presently I am using worsted.
I only have one size of needle (I honestly don't remember what size!) and the finer yarn feels less tense to me. I think it's easier for me to see the individual stitches, and the thicker yarn is thick enough that the stitches look like one large-ish chunk on my needles. Since I've practiced more, it might be fun to try to do something with the thicker yarn and see if it was a total beginners thing or if I'm really just better working with thinner yarn.
Tomorrow it's supposed to be rainy, so no working outside. I'm going to sit down and learn a purl stitch, at least I hope. I'm doing great with a knit stitch and have done a few small projects with it and feel very comfortable with it, and am ready to try some new stuff.
You can experiment with different needles for different thicknesses of yarn, too! It's not even fixed, like some patterns will want a 3.75mm to use with DK, some a 4mm, and so on (I usual ignore this and do 4.5 because I don't like my jumpers to be dense fabric, I like 'em more relaxed).

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, fingering weight gives me the heebies, I've only completed one project in it (a short reversible infinity scarf - only made it because I saw the beau skein at a yarn show and had to just buying it!). I've never done socks, it'd be a waste of time and money for me. Nobody's going to see my socks and I don't make presents. Plus working on such sharp needles (or worse, DPNs) - no thanks!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, fingering weight gives me the heebies, I've only completed one project in it (a short reversible infinity scarf - only made it because I saw the beau skein at a yarn show and had to just buying it!). I've never done socks, it'd be a waste of time and money for me. Nobody's going to see my socks and I don't make presents. Plus working on such sharp needles (or worse, DPNs) - no thanks!
*quietly crossing socks off my list* I can see how they would be a pain, though.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*quietly crossing socks off my list* I can see how they would be a pain, though.
I started socks on 9 inch circulars size 1 and it wasn't too bad. But I got to the heel and decided I would put them in time out indefinitely. I may or may not ever try to finish them. I just wanted to see if I could do it, but foget dpns.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is WONDERFUL, thank you!!! I watched an experienced knitter cast on and I thought, "dude, your hands, those needles, and that yarn are going to spontaneously combust", they were moving so fast. Having it slowed down will help SO much for learning different stitches!
I always use long tail, but I can't (and don't want to) cast on the way those videos show.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I want a bit of stretch I just do knit cast on. My default is cable cast on. No fancy twiddling round thumbs for me, that's not a skill I have any desire to learn!

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH SO CUTE! The look on her face in the first snapshot! You are fortunate she spared you the frustration of having the KNITTED part pulled out and she opted for the ball! What a sweetie(though she is mischievous). But as my brother says: "That's what cats do!"
Yes, I was very glad she didn't pull it all off the needles! Though at least it's only the ribbing, so it wouldn't have been as hard to retrieve as cables. Luckily the cable side is DONE and safely stored in the bag till it's time to attach the sleeves!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I am satisfied enough with several practice rounds that I got my pair of needles-on-a-cable-string-thing in the mail today so I can start working on larger projects.
This should begin once I get through the weekend. Wish me luck! 😱