Calling all knitters and other woolly things.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, I've been doing some work in my "down time" (not much of it in the summer!) but I was really doing fine. I was casting on like I was born to do it, and practiced several times. I had a hard time catching onto a knit stitch but once I got it, it clicked. (To quote someone else who was attempting this, "You'll never know the joy I felt when I did my first stitch, or how loudly I screamed when it promptly fell off the needle. 🤣 )
Now, today, I did a little practice swatch and somehow, the last two rows, when I was done, kind of went "sprong" and I was left with a small rectangular piece with a weird banana-shaped hunk of yarn on the bottom corner. I had used a long tail cast on method, so I left the tail, and created a really nice little hand held "cat wand". Good news is, the cats (and dog) love it! :lol:
I'm excited for when I have more down time this fall, I'm really enjoying it and the relaxation it gives me is VERY much enjoyed.
Keep going...you'll be breezing away in no time!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep going...you'll be breezing away in no time!
Thanks! I was getting frustrated with a simple knit stitch. I decided to try another kind and stopped after watching 10 seconds of the tutorial because I know how I am. If I am trying to learn one stitch, trying to learn another different one will only confuse me. One thing at a time!!

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always like to try and help.
There is a gal who takes all her technique tutorials and does them in Slow Motion. I find them so helpful!
She has the knit stitch in 3 knitting styles in slow motion so you can work right along very slowly..
it is on the 4th page of the Slow Motion tutorials(bottom of page).
Try it out and hope it helps.
You can slow it down even more by clicking on the wheel on the you tube screen and adjusting the speed.

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I always like to try and help.
There is a gal who takes all her technique tutorials and does them in Slow Motion. I find them so helpful!
She has the knit stitch in 3 knitting styles in slow motion so you can work right along very slowly..
it is on the 4th page of the Slow Motion tutorials(bottom of page).
Try it out and hope it helps.
[/URL]
You can slow it down even more by clicking on the wheel on the you tube screen and adjusting the speed.
This is WONDERFUL, thank you!!! I watched an experienced knitter cast on and I thought, "dude, your hands, those needles, and that yarn are going to spontaneously combust", they were moving so fast. Having it slowed down will help SO much for learning different stitches!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My stitches are getting neater and more uniform. I am comparing all my practice pieces in line, and I'm definitely seeing improvement.
On the top of each piece, I am still getting a weird incline or "wave" effect, so my squares are misshappen. Thoughts?
Daisy's helping today by making sure I don't run out of yarn - can't run out if I can't knit, after all (my knitting is stuck under my elbow).

View attachment 453217
What a wonderful little help-purr! :happycat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
My stitches are getting neater and more uniform. I am comparing all my practice pieces in line, and I'm definitely seeing improvement.
On the top of each piece, I am still getting a weird incline or "wave" effect, so my squares are misshappen. Thoughts?
It could be that you're casting on tighter than your knitting.. certain patterns will give that wavy effect, but not squares, in my experience. But I'm not an expert. catloverfromwayback catloverfromwayback , what do you reckon?

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be that you're casting on tighter than your knitting.. certain patterns will give that wavy effect, but not squares, in my experience. But I'm not an expert. catloverfromwayback catloverfromwayback , what do you reckon?
Blimey, I'm far from an expert. I don't know, I haven't noticed that effect. Doesn't mean I haven't had it, just that I'm not observant!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back to knitting? I've been spending a lot of time visiting elderly patients and knitting while they slept. I started many projects doing the easy, straight pieces, but hospitals and care-homes are not ideal when you need to measure, calculate, finish the second sock or sew up knitted articles.

But, :) I've just finished a child's pink jacket which my mother started knitting when she was 97! She died 4 years ago shortly before her 99th birthday. I saved the jacket from being thrown out with all the stuff she'd collected at her care-home. At the time, the only baby or young girl likely to grow into the jacket was my sister-in-law's first grandchild. When I suggested finishing it for her, I was greeted with "My granddaughter is not going to wear that!".

So I took the knitting bag back to Germany with me where it has not been touched until quite recently. I joined a knitting group, hoping to finally finish off all the things I'd started but never got around to the more complicated tasks of sewing up, and finishing off. I managed to finish 3 pairs of socks, a hat, 3 scarves and then I picked up my Mum's knitting. She'd perhaps completed 60 % but I had to undo some of her knitting as the pockets were not symmetrically placed and she'd managed to change the size she was knitting when she got to the sleeves. But, who knows, I probably won't even be able to knit, let alone follow a pattern if I get to be 98!

Well, it's done and certainly not perfect. I knit tighter than my mother did, and although the changeover in stocking stitch doesn't notice, her lacy bits are far frillier than mine! I am sending it to my niece in New Zealand. She has just had her first baby - a little girl. I hope that she will appreciate a handknitted article started by her grandmother and finished by her aunt. It will be a year or two before her daughter has grown into the jacket but, who knows, if I keep it here and die, someone may just throw it out!

The photo shows the bootees for the baby now and the jacket for when she grows into it. I may manage to quickly finish a stuffed cat (started a while back, but already 50 % complete) to add to the parcel for the new arrival.

If my niece reacts the same way as my sister-in-law did, at least I won't have to hear about it! 🤣
View attachment 451534
Sorry, but your S-I-L is an idiot. This is gorgeous.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She has such a cute little face!! :cutecat:
I have been working with thinner yarn. I am knitting much faster this way. I am having a much easier time keeping the stitches loose enough to work with. I tried casting off with thicker yarn and there was no way my stitches were loose in order to do so, but with the thinner yarn it was a breeze. I've made quite a few little "practice mini-scarves" and am preparing to make something "real" next!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
gilmargl gilmargl I have a story to go with your multi-generation little pink child's sweater. When my husband was born one of his mother's sisters knit a sweater for the baby. Which he wore as a 3 year old. She also, at the same time, knit a bonnet, shaping it around a grapefruit. Which was perfect for him to wear as a newborn.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been working with thinner yarn. I am knitting much faster this way. I am having a much easier time keeping the stitches loose enough to work with. I tried casting off with thicker yarn and there was no way my stitches were loose in order to do so, but with the thinner yarn it was a breeze. I've made quite a few little "practice mini-scarves" and am preparing to make something "real" next!
Excellent news! 👍

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great that you are finding your knitting mojo!
I like thinner yarn for the finger comfort. I like chunky yarn because projects don;t take as long, but it hurts my hands. As for mini scarves and something 'real' next. I have sometimes donated WEEKS to replenish my supply of dishcloths! There is a whole culture of knitting dishcloths with intricate patterns! I have made cloths and matching hanging towels as presents. One can sit back and admire a PILE of finished objects in all kinds of colors, tied with a ribbon ready to give away!
They could be great for practicing your bind offs, and you tension, and to learn some new stitches.
If there are mistakes, you could always keep them and use them and no one would know! LOL.
Here is a great link.
(now you make me want to knit some)

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great that you are finding your knitting mojo!
I like thinner yarn for the finger comfort. I like chunky yarn because projects don;t take as long, but it hurts my hands. As for mini scarves and something 'real' next. I have sometimes donated WEEKS to replenish my supply of dishcloths! There is a whole culture of knitting dishcloths with intricate patterns! I have made cloths and matching hanging towels as presents. One can sit back and admire a PILE of finished objects in all kinds of colors, tied with a ribbon ready to give away!
They could be great for practicing your bind offs, and you tension, and to learn some new stitches.
If there are mistakes, you could always keep them and use them and no one would know! LOL.
Here is a great link.
(now you make me want to knit some)
That's interesting about finer yarn being more comfortable for you. I find the opposite, because knitting with finer needles is really bad for my fingers, and the only extensive amount of finer knitting I've done was with Patons Bluebell, which feels really harsh on my fingers (it's a crepe yarn). Between that and the 3.25mm (US 3) needles, I've got a permanent swelling on my knuckle. I think it's a ganglion cyst, but at least it's not painful. 4.5mm (size 7) needles and DK yarn are my favourites.