Calicivirus

Cheflife15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found out both of my cats have calicivirus. The vet wasn't the best at explaining the severity of it and even Google is a bit cloudy.

Right now they are both on doxycycline. They're both eating and active. They also get lysine 2 times a day as per the vets request.

Is there any other information anyone can give me. I'm terrified I'm gunna lose my 2 new friends.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry that you are facing this and that the vet did not do a great job of explaining what is happening. First of all, you did pay for veterinary care for your cats, so if you have specific questions related to the visit or something that he said, call back and ask for another explanation. That certainly is included in the visit you made with your cats. Did your vet suggest in any way that your cats have a particularly severe case? Cats usually recover with treatment; while it is a virus and not treatable with antibiotics, most vets do prescribe an antibiotic as yours has done to fight possibly bacterial infections. If they are eating and active, those are great signs. Yes, it can become more severe, but that does not mean that it will with your cats.

Feline Calicivirus
Feline Calicivirus Infection

These articles contain similar information but may be helpful. Remember that they are discussing the illness in general and that not every part has to pertain to your cats. For example, it sounds as if you don't need an appetite stimulant as your cats are eating.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry your cats are going through this disease.
Can I ask you what symptoms they have or had, what their age is, and if they are vaccinated for calicivirus?

My cat had very mild signs of gums inflammation when she was 4 to 5 months old. The vet ran a swab test and she was positive to calicivirus.
We were late for the vaccine because she had had ringworm. Anyway the vet told me that the virus was dormant in her system long before I rescued her.
She's been fully vaccinated now, but that's a virus, so she'll be having it for her whole life and I was told it could even show up again anytime.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheflife15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can I ask you what symptoms they have or had, what their age is, and if they are vaccinated for calicivirus?

My cat had very mild signs of gums inflammation when she was 4 to 5 months old. The vet ran a swab test and she was positive to calicivirus.
We were late for the vaccine because she had had ringworm. Anyway the vet told me that the virus was dormant in her system long before I rescued her.
She's been fully vaccinated now, but that's a virus, so she'll be having it for her whole life and I was told it could even show up again anytime.
The first cat was sneezing and had yellow discharge coming from her eyes. The second cat had a fever which caused sores In his mouth. He didn't want to eat and was inactive. He's a very active cat so I took him to the vet right away. They're both about 8 to 9 months now.

Cheflife15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

How old is your cat now? Has there been any more flare ups?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

How old is your cat now? Has there been any more flare ups?
My cat is 2 yrs and 4 month old now, and hasn't had any more symptoms, signs or issues.
I don't know whether or not I should really keep an eye on her for all her life.

Cheflife15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are your cats up to date with the vaccines?
Yes both have all other vaccines. I only had them about 2 months or so and it took me that long to get them to see a vet for a normal check up. Every vet in the area was booked months out. The times they got sick I had brought them to an emergency vet.

Would vaccinating them for this now make any difference?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's like my case, if the cats already had the virus prior to the vaccine, it will make no difference, because it's a virus and won't be erased. If they got the virus after the vaccine became effective, they will have a milder disease.
The vaccine for the calicivirus does not make the cat immune, it only makes the disease less severe, just like the covid vaccine.

Cheflife15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it's like my case, if the cats already had the virus prior to the vaccine, it will make no difference, because it's a virus and won't be erased. If they got the virus after the vaccine became effective, they will have a milder disease.
The vaccine for the calicivirus does not make the cat immune, it only makes the disease less severe, just like the covid vaccine.
I just want to clarify, if they get the vaccine now it will help make it less severe?

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy was about 8 months old when he was diagnosed with calsivirus. I was told by my vet my older cat would have it too because of grooming and sharing food and water. I was told because my youngest has gum problems teeth cleaning is a must. And vaccines definitely make a difference my oldest boy sneezes occasionally but doesn't have gum problems. I give both of mine cat multivitamins other than that and keeping up to date with vaccines and brushing it's been nearly a year since I was told both of mine are doing well.