Buprenorphine oral liquid (cost & where to get)

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My local vet is charging $350 for a 7 day supply of 0.05ml (lowest dose) buprenorphine.

That doesn't sound right. I take sublingual bup for my back pain, pay out if pocket. It's very cheap (30x8mg sublingual tabs $24) I can't imagine the price thet charge for cats is normal is it?

I have a script for my kitty (obviously) but since it's an opiod (I guess) chewy doesn't have it so where can I even get it from besides from my over priced vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow. What type does your cat get - oral suspension or injection (2 different ones under this umbrella)

Feeby gets the oral suspension, at the 0.6mg/ml strength (there is another at 0.3mg/ml), and the dose can be at (0.1, 0.2, or 0.3 mg/kg, all configured based on her weight to result in a single dose of 0.1 ml. The vet even prepares it in individual oral syringe doses, and I only pay $45 for 28 doses. Your location is one reason for the higher cost compared to Central FL, I suspect. But the type, strength, and dosage will also affect the price.

You might look for vet pharmacies like Wedgewood, but they are generally not cheap either. I do know Wedgewood carries bupe.The only other thing I know to do would be to call around to other vets and ask what they charge and if they would accept a script from outside their practice - not good odds, but it can't hurt to try.

Last edited:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have a local pharmacy that compounds meds in liquid for pets? You could call and ask about prices, then either take you prescription in or have your vet call the prescription in for you.

I used to get compounded meds mailed to me, but that was years ago and I can't remember the name of the pharmacy.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow. What type does your cat get - oral suspension or injection (2 different ones under this umbrella)

Feeby gets the oral suspension, at the 0.6mg/ml strength (there is another at 0.3mg/ml), and the dose can be at (0.1, 0.2, or 0.3 mg/kg, all configured based on her weight to result in a single dose of 0.1 ml. The vet even prepares it in individual oral syringe doses, and I only pay $45 for 28 doses. Your location is one reason for the higher cost compared to Central FL, I suspect. But the type, strength, and dosage will also affect the price.

You might look for vet pharmacies like Wedgewood, but they are generally not cheap either. I do know Wedgewood carries bupe.The only other thing I know to do would be to
This was the cheaper of the 2 options but I don't know what the other was. He's 12.5lbs I just got 2 doses from the local vet hospital in case he needs it sooner than I find a different pharmacy. It has 0.5ml in it.

He has an NSAID but that can't be mixed with Prednisone.

I'll check much it is from the oncology hospital monday. If it's also bonkers. I'll start calling around.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

You might look for vet pharmacies like Wedgewood, but they are generally not cheap either. I do know Wedgewood carries bupe.The only other thing I know to do would be to call around to other vets and ask what they charge and if they would accept a script from outside their practice - not good odds, but it can't hurt to try.
The full 10mL bottle (either concentration) is $270 at the other hospital... 0.25mL dose = 40doses.
Still expensive but doable

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still expensive, but at least cheaper than what you were getting. That's such a shame.
I'm glad I did ask. All the meds are less than half the price. Ie Prednisolone $30 for a 30day supply. Vs $75 for a 14day (and it's not cherry flavored this time).
The first hospital was a posh building in a fairly upper class neighborhood 5min away and has a 24hr pharmacy. I'm sure that factors in the bill. The new hospital is equqlly fancy looking but 50miles south and surrounded by factories.