Buprenex Dosage Question

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good morning everyone. I have a question regarding this medication. I was instructed to give this medication to my cat, orally, every 12 hours for 4 days. Here are the particulars:

.5MG/ML
I am to give .18CC dosages. (They are premeasured in an oral syringe for me.) My question is this. Does that seem to be a normal does for this medication? It looks like ALOT in the syringe. He weighs 15 pounds. Thanks.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you call the Vet just to clarify with them? I have some premeasured Bup leftover from my 9 pound guy and it's .1ml, so yours doesn't seem too far off, but if you have any doubts at all, definitely give them a call. Mistakes happen and better to be safe than sorry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. It was a new vet (same clinic, just a different doctor). What I ended up doing is chatting with a chewy.com vet. It was free since I had an autoship with them. The dosage is correct, about middle of the road for a 15 pound cat.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks. It was a new vet (same clinic, just a different doctor). What I ended up doing is chatting with a chewy.com vet. It was free since I had an autoship with them. The dosage is correct, about middle of the road for a 15 pound cat.
Good deal! I have never used that service even though it's available to me too. Glad to hear it works. AND that the dosage is good.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience, this is one of the most devastating drugs.
My cat had an injection of this, and four more syringes to be administered at home, but she was stoned for nearly two days after the first one.
Needless to say that the other four syringes ended up in the garbage.

There are similar experiences in this forum.
I'm glad, though, that your cat didn't have any reaction to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In my experience, this is one of the most devastating drugs.
My cat had an injection of this, and four more syringes to be administered at home, but she was stoned for nearly two days after the first one.
Needless to say that the other four syringes ended up in the garbage.

There are similar experiences in this forum.
I'm glad, though, that your cat didn't have any reaction to it.
I will say I had the exact same experience. I gave him one dose, and I didn't see him for a day and a half, other than to find him and make sure he was ok. He hid under a chair in my living room for two full days. I will be bringing back the other 7 doses this evening to the vet to be disposed of. This stuff is not cool. Not a good experience for my poor guy.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to read this.
Though many cats showed the same bad symptoms, and though all vets are aware of this, they keep prescribing the same stuff.
Hopefully your kitty is much better now.